Design service for underfloor heating layout

I can't help thinking those with underfloor heating have to say that to convince themselves. I recently turned down the opportunity of having it fitted in an extension because I couldn't see any genuine benefit particularly given our climate. Plus, I actually like the look of a decent radiator and the immediate benefit of its localised heat output.

I'm at home all the time too so the long on and off times wouldn't be that much of a problem even if the wild temperature fluctuations of our recent weather would confuse things a little. I can't think there is one reason I'd want to swap my 15-20 minutes warm up time and red hot hand/coat warmers hanging on the wall. Then there's the bigger potential for problems and future maintenance with the extra unnecessary hardware. The latter more prevalent with a less than perfect install of course but then the chances of that today appear greater as decent workmanship is a dying art.

Every person I know personally has confessed to not liking the UFH due to it not warming the room sufficiently. Having not experienced UFH is it really better, equal but different or a Joneses thing for those that try to substitute ownership for a personality?

Eh?? You having a laugh? You clearly have never heard of Weather Compensation or even spoken to the correct people?? Perhaps you're reading the shyte the sandal wearing Google Warriors post up on here??

Sponsored Links
Then there's the bigger potential for problems and future maintenance with the extra unnecessary hardware

With ufh the radiators become the unnecessary hardware and ufh as a heat emitter will last a lot longer than a radiator.
Also ufh gives the interior designer free reign.
Small extensions fitted with ufh by dafty diyers are not the best examples to form an opinion with.

Eh?? You having a laugh? You clearly have never heard of Weather Compensation or even spoken to the correct people?? Perhaps you're reading the shyte the sandal wearing Google Warriors post up on here??
No laugh. Weather compensation is another one. Sometimes heat is required on mild days on occasion where weather compensation would say no.

With ufh the radiators become the unnecessary hardware and ufh as a heat emitter will last a lot longer than a radiator.
Also ufh gives the interior designer free reign.
Small extensions fitted with ufh by dafty diyers are not the best examples to form an opinion with.
Is there any truth in the longevity of UFH hardware though, Roger, given that radiators have been proven to last many moons? How old now are the oldest domestic UFH systems?

UFH also gives the room the empty, bland look too but that is definitely a personal choice a bit like the removing of car door handles for the smooth look.

I agree about the small extension not being the best case to determine the possible benefits of UFH but it my case the extension was by no means small and I wouldn't so much as enter the build until it was finished benefitting from a decent set of trades on speed dial who I could trust to crack on.

Sponsored Links
Why was architect sacked?
So many reasons that I wont be able to list them all, and am not sure where to start. Putting aside his poor architectural design skills (we ended up going for my layout), he showed no concern for breaches of gas and electrical regulations (we stupidly paid for his full supervision of the builder he recommended), and did not check any of the builder's work. He missed walls put up in the wrong place, windows in the wrong place, spec clearly not being followed, and effectively ended up being a contracts manager, telling us when to pay builder, window man etc invoices. He hid the fact that who we thought was 'the plumber' was actually the carpenter and certainly did not have Gas Safe certificate which explains running a gas pipe within 150mm of at least two sockets. The final straw was when we realised the beam was not in the right location, and he defended it by saying that he had change the 'beam scheme' (or something like that) - the beam was not directly under the wall it should have been bearing. If you are able to see my previous posts you will get a flavour for the work that was done - he never thought there was a problem with anything, probably because the builder was employing his son as a labourer. We made a big mistake using him, and am slowly trying to sort it out with builder and architect off site now.

Wife's cousin of a cousin and we'd seen his other work. I know, family. We should have stayed clear. It has been a painful and expensive lesson.

Ok. We've all had our bad experiences, but you still have to get your house finished, right!

Go with the recommends you've got from here. I have a big project to take on early part of next year and a large part of the works includes UFH to some 240sqm of ground floor over 5 zones. We were going to approach Ambiente, based on existing contact and experience with them and Dan Robinson's mention of them has reinforced our decision.

Hope that helps and good luck.

No laugh. Weather compensation is another one. Sometimes heat is required on mild days on occasion where weather compensation would say no.

Again eh??!! I'm not even going to bother explaining the finer point of controlling UFH. You clearly have been poorly advised or simply reading some of the shyte on here.

It DIYnot, so ask the pros & not the Google Warriors.

Again eh??!! I'm not even going to bother explaining the finer point of controlling UFH. You clearly have been poorly advised or simply reading some of the shyte on here.

It DIYnot, so ask the pros & not the Google Warriors.
Par for the course on here as a rule. When anybody with a genuine question the so-called pros claim immunity and deflect it to those they call Google Warriors who at least discuss it.

I haven't been advised at all except told UFH is brilliant by the heating guy who so wanted to install it because he had it at home. I wasn't taken in. Those I know that have UFH have doubts but again that isn't a exhaustive survey, hence my original question.

For most on here the shyte is posted by the so-called pros who are largely dismissive and cry DIY at every opportunity. Their delusion of grandeur is staggering but amusing none-the-less because it is clearly a cry for attention and a demand for internet acceptance into the posting hall of fame. Anyway, I digress..

I put it to you PullerGas you don't know but install anyway if asked.

Last edited:
Those I know that have UFH have doubts it

Likewise , one friend who renovated an old water mill was encouraged to install UFH with some impressive figures of efficiency and "comfort factor". He did make some enquiries and some research into the realities of UHF in a real situation. Suffice to say he installed radiators and ducted warm air heating as well as the UHF and these are often used to heat the house.

Professional installers and "consultants" do not have to live in the houses they "design" installations for. DIYers do live in the house and therefor have a real interest in getting it right.

Par for the course on here as a rule. When anybody with a genuine question the so-called pros claim immunity and deflect it to those they call Google Warriors who at least discuss it.

I haven't been advised at all except told UFH is brilliant by the heating guy who so wanted to install it because he had it at home. I wasn't taken in. Those I know that have UFH have doubts but again that isn't a exhaustive survey, hence my original question.

For most on here the shyte is posted by the so-called pros who are largely dismissive and cry DIY at every opportunity. Their delusion of grandeur is staggering but amusing none-the-less because it is clearly a cry for attention and a demand for internet acceptance into the posting hall of fame. Anyway, I digress..

I put it to you PullerGas you don't know but install anyway if asked.

Listen mate, been designing & installing for years!! UFH systems are 20-30 years ahead of Engerland son. We were installing it in the late 80s.

As for the pros on here, the pros have been driven off this forum by the Google Warriors - freely passing out abuse unchecked.

Clearly, some chancer has had your pants down in the past & you think all Tradesmen are the same.

Likewise , one friend who renovated an old water mill was encouraged to install UFH with some impressive figures of efficiency and "comfort factor". He did make some enquiries and some research into the realities of UHF in a real situation. Suffice to say he installed radiators and ducted warm air heating as well as the UHF and these are often used to heat the house.

Professional installers and "consultants" do not have to live in the houses they "design" installations for. DIYers do live in the house and therefor have a real interest in getting it right.

Give it a rest BG, you spout some old drivel!! You lead a charmed life on here fella!!

Too much nonsense posted by those who have no practical knowledge to be quoting them here.

But...

Properly controlled in an insulated building, UFH is fantastic. We've installed miles of the stuff in houses with very demanding clients and if it didn't work then rest assured we would know.

Just because you Bernard and you 24 live in your little bubbles you think that everything you have experienced is the be all and end all. Diversity is the fruit of life.... That being said I am tendering at the moment for a biomass installation which involves a central plant feeding 2 Tudor cottages and a soon to be built garage conversion - ≥60% of the total heat emitters will be UFH with the rest being reconditioned school rads.

Can work out the best way of providing hot water at the moment - there are unvented cylinders there at the moment. But one thing is for sure - it won't be gravity domestic services.

As for the pros on here, the pros have been driven off this forum by the Google Warriors - freely passing out abuse unchecked.
Yes, very droll Bernard 'Piles' Green!!
The abuse comes mostly from a very few self acclaimed "pros" who resent the fact that the people they insult have access to and often have a better understanding of information that these self acclaimed pros would like kept away from owners of boilers.

At least two genuine professionals now avoid this forum simply to dis-associate themselves from the self acclaimed "pros" who dish out insults as part of their ego tripping.

Sorry Mods if this is a bit vitriolic but how many genuine professionals and helpful posters do you want to lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back