Did I do the right thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I'm not a plumber,but I do a bit of plumbing when I fit kitchens/bathrooms etc.
Right. My sister-in-law phoned in desperation, her heating wasn't working properly and she had no hot water. BG had come and said there was c**p in the system and will need to be flushed, and they dont do that sort of thing, they'll come back after flushing. so I took a radiator off and It didn't seem too bad. when I looked at the pump (gravity fed system) the pump was turning but you could stop the impellor with your hand easily.I decided to change the pump and gatevalves, and now everything's working perfectly.
two questions. will the work I done effect her BG insurance plan? were the BG boys taking the p*** is there some sort of hidden agenda ?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes they were taking the **** and should have spotted the problem. i don't see how it could effect her plan but I'd be looking for some money from BG for a problem they should have spotted and fixed.

Sponsored Links
Bg not doing powerflush? New to me, but count your blessings as it would have cost a pack.
If you don’t tell them about your work ,they don’t know.
Question is: what is the point of having breakdown insurance, if they leave you in the cold?
Chances are though that the system is full of carp and the pump will die again.
Chemical flush may help a lot, search forum on how to do it.

The engineer you had round is a lazy git.
I always change the pump before considering a flush unless there is a history of sludge issues at that property

The BG guy suggested to have a powerflush, and admitted with BG it's very expensive so go elsewere. only boiler repair was covered by her insurance. Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll suggest a chemical flush to her. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back