QUOTE AWAY !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the BG man came and sorted my problem. The valve was broke. Anyway, as I suspected the boiler is at least 15 years old, the system is full of sludge and the less said aboutthe wiring the better. (the word deathtrap was used). Hence, I need to think about a new system, the work will involve the following and I want a few extras;
1/ New Boiler (preferably a Worcester One)
2/ A Power flush
3/ Some new Pipework.
4/ New Cylinder tank thing
5/ Could do with a digi wall therm
6/ Temp controls on 5 rads

The house is in the North-West. Its a 2 bed bungalow and quite small. Before I agree for BG to do the work, what is reasonable? :?:

Sponsored Links
It would be entirely reasonable to get 3 quotes; and you'll be glad you did.
Dahn sahf you'd get quotes 2k upwards.

Alledgedly bg is more on the expensive side..that said you do get operatives with ironed shirts and names thereon !

Sponsored Links
site unseen, my estimate would be £3500, although that depends on your line 3. That would be for a decent stainless steel condensing boiler too; a choice of Viessmann, Keston or ATAG.

Yeh, although I'm still waiting to get any freebies from Keston like you do from the other manufacturers. Installed about 15 of their boilers this year I think. I'd have had a few free holidays by now if I'd done that many glowworms.

cheers for your advice chaps.

One more question, when BG give a quote, is that set in stone or are they prepared to negotiate?

I can't imagine they wouldn't be open to suggestions. But why go with BG? They subcontract work out, so you might get me or some other yob turning up! You'll be paying for the ironed shirts, but my priorities are different.
I've heard of isolated cases of BG workers - don't know whether employees or subbies, doing awful work. No guarantees of what you get. Best to educate yourself - get some quotes and quiz the guys who come. See what they think is important. Getting home early, in most cases.

I had pretty much exactly the same work quoted from BG and the total cost is £3800
It wasn't too much more expensive than some reputable looking companies.

It is a Bosch boiler.

My only annoyance was that there was NO room for negotiaition on the price - it was take it or leave it.
Don't know if that was just my salesman or a general BG policy

Many thanks for your advice guys!
If any of the plumbers on here from the North West are interested, please shout up! :LOL:
My email address is in my profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back