Spirotrap Magnabooster?

A good inhibitor:
  • sweeps up residual flux etc :)
    is designed to help against microcell (pinhole) corrosion :)
    helps with effects of chemical impurities in the steel rads (eg sulphides) etc :)
    tends to reduce noise :)
    helps with inevitable, incremental, ingress of oxygenated air, which will happen :)
    satisfies the manufacturer (mostly) :)
    is extremely cheap :)
    Is supposed to stop temporary hardness depositing on the main hex at first heat-up. Though few people put the stuff in COLD. :confused:
but we get periodic reports of it attacking rubbers. :(

and there's bound to be other stuff I don't know about. :unsure:

But on balance it appears very unwise to leave it out.

"Not showing signs of problems" - may be. Big deal. Suppose you get a leaky rad valve and they lose enough to have to fill it a few times. It's too bloody late to stop oxides circulating. You put inhibitor in and it coats them and that goes round - and eventually makes a black slime you could have avoided.

Filters:
Help with
Non magnetic particles which could wear diverters, turbines etc, pumps especially crappy Wilos.
Those are mostly only on combis. Grunny pumps are cheaper than filters and last ages.
Remember most particles go straight through a hex and don't affect it.

Magnetic particles, ditto but some preferentialy would stick to ferrous metals in the boiler - but there aren't many now.

Filters block up quicker than hex's. If there's a long term problem it's better to flush the system harder, unless you can't.
Fairly clean sealed systems often have cleanish filters and flaked DHWHEs. Filters here seem a dubious investment.

Industrial exp shows that a lightish deposit in a wet hex had little or no effect on heat transfer. Anything soaked, conducts quite well. (Not the same as for air/gas). So it only matters when
  • there's so much crud it blocks the flow
    or the heat ex area was marginal
    at highest water flow rate, if it's variable.

So if you put a filter on ask yourself what it's actually going to do, and whether anyone's going to monitor it. What's the resistance of a 3/4 blocked filter?
On a brand new non-combi system it's probably not a good investment, assuming there's inhibitor in there.

Sponsored Links
What sales patter. What are you on about now?

None of that is sales patter it's from personal understanding. I'm dubious about the depositing of limescale bit - I don't know how that would work.

Problem with certain boiler manufacturer's controls patter is that it doesn't stand up to any sort of logic at all. Then you probe and you're told you've misunderstood. No, what it says is wrong.
And if you know anything much about control methods it's pretty crap.
And if you talk to most of their techies they come back with crap because they don't know what they're talking about. Tbh some just say they don't understand, which is fine.
A number of them make false claims based on fanciful ideas, which they should know are crap. That's utter crap and deplorable.

either you concur with the sales patter of the manufacturers or you do not...
That's supposed to be true because you say it is?
Utter crap. You're consistent.

still you put up a spirited defence of your practices
No I haven't.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
There are some members you can't argue with , either put up or shut up , learned my lesson the hard way on here. :LOL: :LOL:

No malice intended. ;)

Lets just say i've been on the recieving end of that wrath before. :LOL:

I do read your posts but I tend to take a wide birth now. :LOL: ;)

I dont know if I have annoyed GW, if I have, and still do he takes it in his stride...

People generally don't annoy me but I do look on in wonder at some of the comments here..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back