Spirotrap Magnabooster?

A filter is fitted to prevent sludge build up, whats the point in quoting to have one fitted after its sludged up?.

Sponsored Links
A filter is fitted to prevent sludge build up, whats the point in quoting to have one fitted after its sludged up?.

But more likely it will not "prevent" "sludge build up". It will likely only stop said sludge build up enter the boiler.

I say again, if you are quoting on a job where you have not drained the system in any way, you are not giving the best possible advice. If you find ****e in a system by all means give a quote. If you change a clock and quote for a sludge issue you are a wideboy.

Give it up biscuit before some home truths are blurted out on here , quit while your not ahead.

Sponsored Links
Its true BG didn't say the contract would be invalid. What I was told was "if there is sludge build-up, its not covered by your contract so we wouldn't be able to fix it".

This reminds me of 2 years ago when BG tried to get me to buy a descaler, I think it was a Combimate scale reducer. I mentioned that I already had Fernox in the system and I was told only their device was approved and if there was any lime scale damage to the boiler I would not be covered.

If BG do turn round at some time and claim that I'm not covered how can I tell whether sludge, lime scale or something else is causing the boiler to breakdown?

Nickso - can you tell me where it says in the T+C that BG will do a first repair for sludge/blockage? The nearest I could find is Section 8.4 which just says they won't do anything.

I guess its hard to know, its aways good to protect expensive equipent with filters etc on the inlet, and i think if was installing a new boiler to a system of old radiators I would be very tempted. But its a case of assessing the cost likely hood of an issue against the cost of installing the device.

Daniel

Nickso - can you tell me where it says in the T+C that BG will do a first repair for sludge/blockage? The nearest I could find is Section 8.4 which just says they won't do anything.

I can't off the top of my head but I will try and find out.

I've been reading this forum with great interest.

I recently took out boiler insurance with British Gas (Homecare at £13 per month). Gives me a yearly service aswell.

My 5 year old boiler was accepted, (with above 82% efficiency), but with several recommendations/ conditions pointed out.

All in all, the way it was worded made me feel that if I ever had a problem, no matter what it was, there would be something in either their terms and conditions, or the "recommendations" they pointed out to me, that would make my insurance cover completely invalid.

One of those conditions was that if ever my boiler was damaged by anything attributable to "sludge" in the system, my insurance would NOT cover it. But at the same time, they recommended that I had a "Spirotrap Magnabooster" installed.

The engineer led me to believe that this device might prolong the life of my boiler, but not increase any chance of my being covered for "sludge" damage.

Needless to say, he left me a quote for British Gas to carry out the job - £269 in total!!! WHAT A CROCK!! I have been on the internet to find out what these devices actually cost - around £69 (including p&p). Which leaves me the obvious conclusion they want about £200 to install it - a job which I've been told would take about two hours at the most!! NO WAY!!!

It goes without saying that I shall not be taking up the British Gas offer; however I am questioning whether I should have such a device installed in my system? And if so, which one would do the best job ??

Welcome to the world of BG. as you said crooks and sales sharks.

Get a magnaclean fitted but an independent, 10 xs better but slightly poorer build quality, should be no more than £150-200, supply and fit. depending on location.

magnacleans do tend to leak after a while though :cry: although they are spectacularly fast at collecting black sludge, especially if you add X400 or something.

you could have a magnabooster fitted for about the same cost

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm not at all concerned about the cost of fitting.

I've done my homework, and I'm only interested in the choice between TWO devices -

FERNOX TF1 Magnetic Filter OR
SPIROTRAP Magnabooster

I would like to know which of just these two devices is considered the best?! And also, do they both trap common sludge aswell as magnetic particles?

the spiro traps particles, whatever they are, it works on a vortex and labyrinth, with a sump trap below, a bit like a Dyson vacuum cleaner. IMO they only added the magnet to their previous design because buyers are attracted to magnets.

this pic shows one of their older models, before the idea of Magnets took the market by storm.

View media item 3406

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm not at all concerned about the cost of fitting.

I've done my homework, and I'm only interested in the choice between TWO devices -

FERNOX TF1 Magnetic Filter OR
SPIROTRAP Magnabooster

I would like to know which of just these two devices is considered the best?! And also, do they both trap common sludge aswell as magnetic particles?

Given the choice I wouldn't fit either.

Look at the magnaclean twintech if you want a filter was well

Warm front are worse!!!!

Doesn't really sound like you need a spirovent, they are good to have but bg need to sell sell sell, no doubt quoted around £250 supply and fit

i have been recomended a spirotrap magnabooster today after the BG guy replaced diverter valve inners and fitted air vent to my 10 yo worcester bosche combi. said if this part kept breaking they would not repair unless i had magnabooster at£279.

It sounds like he was telling u porkie pies, there are no exclusions if u dont get a spiro fitted, but if the water becomes sludged up then you'll get a quote 2 have a powerflush done which is 600 quid, the spiro is fitted to help prevent that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back