Difference in Wall plate height.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot get my head around how I’m going to do this!
Ideally I want the wall plate sat back so it isn’t exposed too low.
Structural engineer said I can do it either way, sit on top of shorter beam coming out of extension or sat on the post, I can’t see how it would work on picture one? Can anyone help, what’s the best way to go about it?
If I did it like picture two the beam would sit quite low and be exposed.
I’ve just rested the beams roughly where they would be, obviously they’d be notched into the brickwork
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You mean the front one?

I suppose it is mostly ornamental, rather than structural?

Would it not look better, set back to the side wall of the house, rather than the front?

Structural engineer said I can do it either way, sit on top of shorter beam coming out of extension or sat on the post, I can’t see how it would work on picture one? Can anyone help, what’s the best way to go about it?
I’ve just rested the beams roughly where they would be, obviously they’d be notched into the brickwork
View attachment 335090View attachment 335091
Is that going to be a hip end?

Obviously the further back the WP goes, the higher it will need to sit. The problem you'll have if it's a hip end, is that it will clash with the hip rafter.

View attachment 335090View attachment 335091
...and if it is a hip end, do the two roof elevations pitch to the same hight (top end) and are they the same pitch?

Sponsored Links
You mean the front one?

I suppose it is mostly ornamental, rather than structural?

Would it not look better, set back to the side wall of the house, rather than the front?
Yes the front one, this is how I want it. Would it be possible to do it having it set back? Structural engineer said to do it this way but it will clash with the hip rafter.
IMG_3838.png

Yes the front one, this is how I want it. Would it be possible to do it having it set back? Structural engineer said to do it this way but it will clash with the hip rafter.
View attachment 335113
The first thing you need to do is mock up a front rafter (full) and put in place and prop it at the low end to the correct pitch - i.e the only full one that runs right to the peak of those running down the garage.
Mock up the hip blade.

You can then have a look and see just where you can position your wall plate bearer. Take into account any birdsmouths into both the rafter and the hip blade, when working out just how high you can position the bearer.

The first thing you need to do is mock up a front rafter (full) and put in place and prop it at the low end to the correct pitch - i.e the only full one that runs right to the peak of those running down the garage.
Mock up the hip blade.

You can then have a look and see just where you can position your wall plate bearer. Take into account any birdsmouths into both the rafter and the hip blade, when working out just how high you can position the bearer.
Thank you, I’ll do that! Would there be any reason to not try and match the porch pitch to minimise work on the porch roof and have two different pitches? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back