Differentiated Regional Pay

D

dextrous

I know that Union issues are being discussed on another forum, notable that relating to Corus' unfortunate position. This is a different issue though which came up a few weeks ago (on Radio 4 anyway)

Should a person be paid a different wage/salary for exactly the same job, depending on local living costs? For example, housing prices in London are greater than Manchester. So, if one is on £30K in London, then (before we even look at the price of bread), someone doing exactly the same job in Manchester will be better off - as in have more disposable income.

The unions are dead against this, and I can't for the life of me understand why!

Sponsored Links
Regional pay makes perfect sense, obviously those who stand to lose out will complai the loudest.

In the N.E for example you ca buy a house for the price of an average family car where as in the south that's not the case.

I thought teachers and nurses got some kind of regional pay loading?

You also need to take in to consideration of this, when working away from home.
The cost of digs in Mancherster (if you'd ever want to stay there) are less than the cost of digs in London (if you ever wanted to stay there, either) and the ales more too :cry:
You may find more Man U fans in London though :confused:

Sponsored Links
we used to get london weighting of £2000pa years ago , but it was "phased out", the management said it was now built into your basic pay, only trouble was the basic pay never changed :eek: i've never worked that one out since!

Forced me to move out of london and have to commute, which has gone up a lot since (petrol, deisel) so worse off in effect. :(

I thought teachers and nurses got some kind of regional pay loading?
There used to be a London Allowance. Not sure if that's still going though, nor how well it reflects or reflected the reality, or indeed the realty. But this only worked depending on whether you worked in the Capital or not, and not region by region.

I suppose it all depends what sort of house your living in, and the area, as regards the housing cost. EG a five or six bedroom house in Manchester will probably cost just as much as a three bedroomed house in London.
I'm not sure that a loaf of bread or anything else would cost any more in Asda's in Tottenham as it would in Asda's in Wythenshawe.
I would expect that travel costs in London would be considerably more than in Manchester or Birmingham.

I have one question. Why.

Why is London more expensive? The stock answer to this is it is desireable - people want to live there.

Another question, then.

Why do people want to live in London?

And why is this the case to such an extent that a studio flat can sell for a quarter of a million pounds, yet the same flat in Doncaster would cost £50,000? And WHO THE HELL actually buys a studio flat for £250,000?

It makes me cringe when I see on telly in films or soaps etc, people announce that they are "moving to London to start a new life." What as? A vagrant?

Regional pay makes perfect sense.

Pay should be the same, for equal jobs, in different parts of the country.
Greater disposable income in the poorest areas will allow that area to move on and upwards, so removing disparities between different areas.

It is not a healthy situation for the country to have a North/South divide.

Some one in London can sell their house and retire on the proceeds, having done nothing different to some one in the North, who will never have that option.

lived in london best part of 24 years, not till i moved out into the countryside did i realise how dirty a place london is with its litter and grime and pollution both air and noise.

I would never move back even if i could.

lived in london best part of 24 years, not till i moved out into the countryside did i realise how dirty a place london is with its litter and grime and pollution both air and noise.

I would never move back even if i could.
Theres a old saying that you can take a man out of the countryside but you can't take the countryside out of a man, does it not work for a city gent?

I now believe that london offers the glamour and glitz for those that like that sort of thing but otherwise its very shallow.

after all life isnt all about spending money is it?

trazor";p="1518867 said:
Regional pay makes perfect sense.

It is not a healthy situation for the country to have a North/South divide.

it may not be healthy but it's a reality unlikely to change this century. Most countries have a divide of wealth that is disproportionate be it east/west, north/south or whatever.

The North is already heavily subsidised by the south by council taxes and the public sector. Why should a teacher in Newcastle enjoy a better standard of lifestyle than one in London?

Why should a teacher in Newcastle enjoy a better standard of lifestyle than one in London?
Having briefly visited both they obviously need all the help that can be mustered :LOL:

I now believe that london offers the glamour and glitz for those that like that sort of thing but otherwise its very shallow.

after all life isnt all about spending money is it?
otherwise :?: isn`t glamour and glitz shallow too ;) Marinas ...that`s where not just the water is shallow ...well the ones on the South Coast of England anyway :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back