Dipping toe into painting

Sponsored Links
Ran more tests today and I am ready to paint once all the other bits are in place.

The dye idea didn't work. Unless I spray with 100% dye, there's nothing much to see on white A4 paper. Water was too thin to simulate paint. Spraying more water would not be useful.

At 2 BAR, 30 PSI, the compressor was able to sustain painting across a 6 foot fan sweep if I count to 10 at the end of the sweep before the return sweep.

At 1 BAR, 15 PSI, the spray was soft enough to meet my preference. If paint could be atomized by that, that's what I would paint with. The compressor went on a slow pressure loss at 1 bar continuous spray. I believe spraying at 1 bar with the material feed turned down would replicate the performance of the supposed magical iwata LPH80. I don't believe there's any magic. Lower material flow would need less pressure and CFM. The smaller guns have smaller tips producing lower material flow.

The biggest problem I found was the wind out in the open. It will absolutely disrupt painting.

Yes you can send off an oil sample for testing, but on a small engine like a Mini, it'll probably cost about the same as changing the oil anyway. On ships, with several hundred gallons of engine oil, it's routine to do oil condition monitoring because the cost of the test is minuscule compared to the cost of the oil change
Not even worth it on commercial vehicle (lorry) engines.

Usually done by mileage/hours not time.

Sponsored Links
Try it in the rain, that might be a help for you if you’re spraying water.
Do you know a place selling waterborne paint? I tried search but nothing came up immediately that would sell a mix-according-to-reg. Waterborne paint should be sprayable in rain.

For back street bodyshops who use expensive lawyers, look what a bum deal you are giving to customers. It's pretty apparent where all the VOC paints are going.

Cons of waterborne paint​

• It is expensive. While waterborne paint technically performs and looks the same as the solvent-based one, it will cost more and have pretty specific requirements for the painting process, which will inevitably reflect in your final bill;
  • Pretty demanding coverage. Even though manufacturers claim that waterborne paint works perfectly in any environment, it still requires some advanced surface cleaning and preparations;
  • It won’t work on any surface. The biggest problem with waterborne products is that they will cause corrosion on most metal materials;
  • Weaker water resistance. As we have already mentioned, the humidity will make your waterborne paint dry much longer. Moreover, it also has a pretty poor water-resistant quality and therefore requires some thorough solvent-based coating. Otherwise, it loses its looks pretty fast.

Here's a study of gun pressure. 1 bar, 15 psi produces acceptable results. For my purpose, 1 bar for base, and 1.5 bar for clear should be doable.

The guy did not study material flow control. The control can potentially give me additional options, such as 0.5 bar for base and 1 bar for clear.

Sponsored Links
Back