Disconnecting a pull cord

This is what I have done, just temporarily. The two earth cables are in the G/Y sleeve. I can't test the light yet but wanted to get the wires into an accessible block, so that I can change them around easily, as required.

DJl7UZil.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you say "any unused conductors", does that include the black and yellow, or would it be just the blue?
Have I misunderstood your switching?
As I understand it, there are two switches controlling the light: a plate switch and a pull cord. You want to remove the pull cord and leave the plate switch in operation.
The pull cord has both a twin and earth cable and the 3 core.
So, the plateswitch should have the other end of the 3 core attached to it.
Of the conductors in the 3 core cable you need two to attach to the switch, a permanent live and a switched live going to the fitting's lamp(s).
The third (in this one-way switching scenario) is redundant.

EDIT:

Your photo looks about right.

If the plate switch operates the "wrong" way round (ie light on with switch "up"), you can swap the yellow to the other terminal when you open the switch to connect the unused conductor to the earth terminal.
Don't connect the blue that used to be at the pullcord to earth without disconnecting it from the plate switch.

Last edited:
Diagram A is what you have.

B & C are the two methods that have been explained.

D is what you have done. It's ok but the blue will be live when the light is off.

Option C involves altering the other switch as well.

upload_2018-8-20_19-30-34.png

Then come back on here and ask why it does not work.

The 2 core is the switch drop. The 3 core are the strippers to the other switch.
When you have sealed them off in a box and find it does not work connect the lone red (part of 3 core) to one of the other pairs. If the other switch now works upside down move the lone red to the other pair.
You would use a Hager J804 and connect as it is now
As said divert the 3 core to the light and have NO joins

Sponsored Links
Just information.

"It's ok but the blue will be live when the light is off."

Not ok if he decides to follow half of SS's method and connect it to earth.

Thanks to all for the very helpful advice.

The diagrams are much appreciated, EFL. Made it very clear.

I am going to wire it use the 'B' approach. I'm just waiting for the second light to be delivered so that I can check it, before I put all of the wiring up in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back