Disconnecting an electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a new electric cooker delivered soon. The firm who are delivering will install it, but won't disconnect the old one - I'm a bit worried about having to do this myself, but probably don't have a choice - is there anything I need to be aware of when I do this (apart from switching the electric off)
thanks

Sue

Sponsored Links
There's no special problem about disconnecting, just be absolutely sure the supply is off. Check that nothing on the cooker is working. If your cooker control switch has a socket included check that it's not working either. Don't rely on the cooker switch, switch off the circuit breaker or pull out the fuse in your consumer unit or fuse box. If you're uncertain which one it is turn off all the supply with the main switch. Apart from that is just a matter of using screwdrivers (check whether posidrive or slotted) and maybe spanners and pliers to remove a cover plate and release wire ends from terminals.

Ensure that power is not restored until the cable has been properly reconnected to the new cooker. Is this being done by the installers?
They or you should check that the new cooker is not going to overload the exisiting cable (e.g. if it is more powerful than the old cooker) and should check that the cable is in satisfactory condition before connecting the new cooker to it.

just wondering, how are they going to install the new one without discoonecting the old one? (unless new one is gas?)

breezer said:
just wondering, how are they going to install the new one without discoonecting the old one?
Just a wild guess, but maybe by slotting it into the space that was created when the customer pulled the old one out of the way, and connecting it to the terminals of the outlet plate that were freed up when he removed the cable serving the old one.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
just wondering, how are they going to install the new one without discoonecting the old one? (unless new one is gas?)

they should remove the old stuff aswell. a few month ago i had to go disconnect an old washer and re-connect a new 1. they wouldnt disconnect the old 1 (which didnt work, hence the new 1) incase they broke it, and that they would come back within 48 hours of her phonin to say the old 1 was disconnected. like an 80 year old can easily remove a washer....

Just one other thought. You may want to disconnect the cable at the cooker end rather than the wall plate end, so that you can re-use it with the new cooker if it doesn't come with new cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back