disgruntled customer or taking the 'P'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
looking for a bit of info regarding 'explosive' switches...
Did a PIR in June on a 3 bed detatched. last rewire ten years ago. got install certs etc. No issues per se' just a couple of minor codes-( no earths to back boxes etc and a cooker switch now over cooker due to wider replacement). All readings well within regs with a small deviation from the install figures.
This PIR was for the new buyer. so far so good...
Got a letter today demanding refund as he states that builders came in last week to do work and 'all the fuses started blowing' and 'the instant safety cutout didn't work' when using a floor sander. Also found numerous other faults...
Goes on to state that the cooker switch/no socket, non RCD side own circuit, 'literally blew off the wall' but no details about cause, and is being charged £350 by the builders electrician who was brought in to test the wiring - no mention of new results or reports etc, to rectify said problems allegedly, the list of which entails the replacement of the cooker switch, a 13a socket, a couple of pendants and refit the smoke detector. Total materials cost £24!
I am stumped as to what could cause a 45a DP cooker switch to explode as described? Feel there's a bit of a scam in the air. any ideas greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So everything fine from June to now. Builders arrive then fuses start to blow. Instant safety cut out ? whats that presumably the RCD not working. Why should it unless a problem with the sander has been discovered. Did they plug this in the cooker socket ?

All sounds a bit coincidental. :evil:

Since they caused the problem by allowing the builders to plug in all sorts of unknown plant (all or some could have been via a suspect transformer) and then got a 3rd party sparks in- how can you cover that ?

Unless the spark is prepared to blame you (which he won't) tell him to jump since at no stage did he give you an opportunity to inspect the faults at the date they became evident.

In all likelihood something fecked the mcb on the cooker supply and the builders mate then held the mcn on :eek: not allowing it to switch on fault.

I'd also add that there's a fair chance the builders have been doing the 1st crash and bash stage and I'd suspect breakers, hammers, breaking bars and bolsters could have assisted in damaging the wiring installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

STI, The language used struck me as odd too. Apparantly was from the project manager.

Holmslaw, was 100% tested with 25% visual-referred to GN3 as baseline then added a good ly amount on top. seemed logical to go that bit extra. His contention is that the report denoted that the electrics were safe. no other relation to the 'faults' mentioned.

Chri5, good points, this is the first i've heared and no mention of wanting me to return to check. No info either on what tests were done or if there is any other paperwork etc.

I have requested to return to have a look in my initial response letter. will wait and see...

Ps sry for being a pedant but no earth to back-box is not a contravention of '7671

Under the 17th edn all sockets for general use should be RCD protected, was the cooker outlet on an RCD?
Can you ask for a copy of the Portable Appliance Test report for the builders portable appliances?

But as the rewire was ten years ago it's not subject to 17th edition

PJ

call there bluff and say that further visits are chargable if they can not show that your testing was incorrect or innacurate
you will require to see all eqipment and wiring in the state you left it or no blame can be attributed to your test

The PIR is akin to an MOT: you can only inspect and comment on what you see on the day.

Spark 123 makes a very good point: ask the builders to produce their PAT certs for all their gear.

You must tell the owner you cannot be responsible for what he believes is your responsibility.

If there was a problem he felt was your responsibility to put right, he should have given you the opportunity to investigate the problem first.

Further, how did they know that the RCD should have tripped when using the sander unless they knew it was faulty? In which case it was negligent of them to use it.

I too smell an extremely large rodent...

But as the rewire was ten years ago it's not subject to 17th edition

PJ

The PIR should have been if it was carried out since 2008

I didn't think the 17th edition applied to work done before it's introduction??

Are you then saying that earth wires now need connecting to the back boxes?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 17th edition regs are not retrospective.

Regs are not retrospective but PIR's are done to the current version of the regs, so an old installation would have defects, even if it was perfectly installed at the time.

There has never AFAIK been a reg which says you have to run a flylead to a metal flush-box as long as the faceplate is secured on at least one fixed lug. It is considered good practice though and I believe that it is a NICEIC rule.

Nothing to stop you doing PIRs with the position that in your professional opinion not earthing back boxes is a contravention of 134.1.1.

So the house is fine, then 'builders' arrive and start all kinds of work. Could easily have damaged/destroyed/tampered with anything and everything.

I am stumped as to what could cause a 45a DP cooker switch to explode as described?
Some buffoon decided to attach a cooker to the end, and connected it so there was a dead short between L&N or L&E. Not that unlikely with most cookers having multiple sets of L & N connections, which must be linked together properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back