disgruntled customer or taking the 'P'

I can't believe the home owner is even entertaining the notion that it could be your fault! The builder and his spark mate must have either spun a fantastic fairy story, or been downright intimidating!

Sponsored Links
I suspect the homeowner is in on it, and is hoping to get some of his building work paid for by someone else.

Thank you for all of the replies.
Just a little footnote, don't know if it's relevent but i took a drive past the property as i was on another job in the area and saw that the land next door has new footings for a house build. this was defo not there at the time of the testing... coincidence or not?

Wrote to the owner suggesting a meet at the property with all other 'interested parties' to discuss the alleged events and to compare test result from builders sparky-if any.
Was going top use MOT analogy eventually, but this is bugging the hell out of me so i want to dig a bit see if anything pops up.

Again, really appreciate the feedback comments

Take a camera - if they are telling porkies they'll get nervous if you start taking photos of everything.

Especially if you say "Oh - I just want to compare them with the ones in my file of the work I originally did".

Sponsored Links
Take a camera - if they are telling porkies they'll get nervous if you start taking photos of everything.

Especially if you say "Oh - I just want to compare them with the ones in my file of the work I originally did".

blinkin' good idea, although the homeowner is never going to concent to a meeting and if they do, rest assured the builder and the sparky wont be there, not unless they are particuarly stupid.

the cooker switch would need re-loacating anyway so there's a charge for that that you're not responsible for anyway..

Under the 17th edn all sockets for general use should be RCD protected, was the cooker outlet on an RCD?
Can you ask for a copy of the Portable Appliance Test report for the builders portable appliances?
??

Before you go from the frying pan into the fire, were all non-conformances with the 17th edn regs recorded? You originally said split load installed to 16th edn regs which would usually flag up observations/recommendations re RCD protection.

Good point about the camera.
I can vouch that it does work wonders.
Done that one years ago (not in this context exactly but same pricinple).
Pre digital, no film in camera but it sharpens the minds that you are collecting evidence - in my case it was a holiday let that was substandard - two weeks in a "Super Tent" quickly convertred to two weeks in a luxury caravan on a rival site paid for by the original site at no extra cost for three families.
Pics do work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back