Dishwasher bracket broken, any hope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a broken bracket on the inside of the dishwasher.

The stainless steel bracket, that holds the pipe leading to the upper basket, has broken off the rear stainless steel panel. The dishwasher is out of warranty, is there anything I can do to reattach the bracket? Glue maybe?

The dishwasher still works, but the top basket pulls and flicks the pipe against the back as it disconnects.

$_57.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you can hold the bracket firmly in place as the adhesive sets, an epoxy glue such as araldite should do well.....surfaces need to be clean and dry, of course.
John :)

You would need to go on Amazon or similar but JB Marine weld is an epoxy that is very strong indeed and suitable for both water and for stainless. I tried using normal epoxy but it did not hold, this stuff has, so far been very strong.

I'm with bodgedbuild - I'm not convinced standard Araldite would cope with the conditions. If you look at this temp fix I did a while ago with Araldite in a dishwasher, the high temp and the fact it was under water had the adhesive starting to deteriorate and detach quite quickly.

Because the basket is getting pulled out and shoved back in (often with some weight), there might be enough flexing that even stronger adhesives might eventually fail. Is it a spot weld that has failed?

If it was me, and access is possible, I'd probably be looking to reattach it with stainless steel machine screws through the back of the dishwasher and sealing around the holes with a plumbing silicone like Fernox LSX.

Sponsored Links
Ugh! Could've cleaned the dishes first! If it's a weld that's failed then it could be welded to fix it.

Without really knowing what I'm talking about - it does look like a welded joint. I think what you suggest is beyond my skills, so I'll try the JB Marine Weld for now - even if I have to keep applying it.

When it arrives, should I apply it up and down the pipe also? My guess is that it would help to take the strain of repeated pulling and closing of the shelf?

I intend to de-grease with ammonia - good idea?

As a degreaser it would probably be OK - just rinse thoroughly afterwards and dry. JB Weld suggestion is as follows:

We recommend using acetone or lacquer thinner. In the absence of these two, soap and water can be used. Just be sure that the surface is completely dry before applying J-B Weld. DO NOT use alcohol or any "cleaner" that will leave a petroleum residue.

Just bear in mind if you use acetone that nail polish removers sometimes have other stuff in them, so you need pure acetone for this sort of cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back