Dishwasher drainage query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend got her first dishwasher recently (a Candy), & it won't drain. After checking the way the drain & inlet pipes were connected, & reading loads on the net, we've just had a look at the new pipework under the sink. The drainpipe connects to a sort of small side pipe off the U-bend, & when we turned the pipe around I could see a blue-coloured section inside it. I put a screwdriver down it, & it's blocked by plastic at the end!

We're not keen to call the original plumber back out to remove this bit of plastic, as he knew a dishwasher would be going there but didn't sort this bit out or tell her about it, so can we just get it out ourselves? Can we just punch a hole through it to allow the water to drain out - if not, the only way to get it out seems to be to disconnect the pipework under the sink to lift that section out. I think we can probably manage to do it, but if there's a way of avoiding that amount of work we'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
You have a spigot on your trap?

You can saw the end off and connect it to your DW waste pipe using a jubilee clip.

Your plumber left it as it was because you would have had a flood every time your sink drained. :D

Take the drain hose off the spigot, the spigot may have a plug in it (the blue bit) or it could be solid. If solid it needs cutting at the end. Put the hose back on and secure it in place (jubilee clip is good).

Sponsored Links
And this is why we're secretaries who occasionally may have to do a bit of plumbing, rather than plumbers who may have to sometimes do a bit of secretarial. :LOL:

The blue plug came out after a bit of dragging out using the screwdriver, then the drainhose was reconnected using the jubilee clip. The machine was put back on, we heard the satisfactory gurgle of water going down the drain at appropriate intervals, & the machine clunked & clicked its way through the programs from beginning to end. Not a drip in sight from the connections, & the bottom of the machine just had a few drips of water in it at the end! :D

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back