DIY conveyancing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a long shot this.. but .. has anyone ever done their own when buying/selling ?

Sponsored Links
In the 70s lived in a big old house and started going to local auctions and buying lower end antiques. When I went to sell the house and buy a new build, I noticed an ad in the paper from an American who was in the country simply to buy antiques. Phoned him up, added one third to the price I paid at auction, and when he came he didn't quibble about anything and paid in cash the prices I asked. From then on, I began to collect items just to sell to him when he came over once a year. Much to my regret, this stopped when I moved to the north east.

These days, I still go to the auctions especially when the weather forecast is very bad and the turnout small. That's when I seem to pick up the bargains.

In the 70s lived in a big old house and started going to local auctions and buying lower end antiques. When I went to sell the house and buy a new build, I noticed an ad in the paper from an American who was in the country simply to buy antiques. Phoned him up, added one third to the price I paid at auction, and when he came he didn't quibble about anything and paid in cash the prices I asked. From then on, I began to collect items just to sell to him when he came over once a year. Much to my regret, this stopped when I moved to the north east.

These days, I still go to the auctions especially when the weather forecast is very bad and the turnout small. That's when I seem to pick up the bargains.

Right answer, wrong thread?

Sponsored Links

Right answer, wrong thread?

Wrong forum too!

to amplify, I went to the library, browsed their catalogue. There were a few DIY conveyancing books written (presumably) by retired or active conveyancers or solicitors clerks, and I think there was one by "Which" as well. I read several, and borrowed the one I liked best. I didn't even need to buy it.

Most of it is easy if you can do paperwork and are meticulous. There are standard forms which in those days I ordered from a Law Stationers, today no doubt you can download off the net.

Buying is more tiresome as the mortgage co may insist on a pro, but I did some of the legwork then handed over the file. Remember that in most cases the actual work is not done by a solicitor, but by an office worker who has (at least) dozens of cases on the go, and may have anything between 40 years and one week's experience. The office worker will never have seen any of the houses and won't know the answer to any of the questions, so the homeowner has a big advantage.

Very much like builders, architects and *** *******.

I've done my own. Wasn't too tricky for me as I was buying with cash from someone who owned outright. If there is a mortgage on the property or you need a mortgage then it is a little trickier. There's a couple of good books, the which one and one by Joseph bradshore. Both written with a novice in mind but it still takes a bit of understanding of legal stuff. Worth getting both and reading them. Small price to pay for the saving. You will need to fill a few forms out and one needs a lawyer to sign it which cost me £25 for 30 seconds work. My biggest concern was being duped by the vendors solicitor as they could theoretically sneak anything into the legal babble and I'd miss it but in reality it was just some office junior filling out one of many standard forms.

Would I do it again? A simple sale or purchase, definitely, anything a bit complicated, maybe.

Back