DIY Electrical Changes Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I can't admit to 'being wrong' when it's information from a solicitor.
No, but you might consider, in the light of what's been said that perhaps, just perhaps, the solicitor told you no such thing - it's a misunderstanding. In fact, the rest of us are confident that he didn't tell you anything remotely like what you claim.

If he did, then please post a) the question, and b) the answer.

If the solicitor did in fact tell you what you claim, then I for one will be gobsmacked - and I'll be reporting him to the SRA as incompetent.

I'm fairly confident that you'll post no such thing - either because you don't have it, or when you start copying it you realise that you were wrong all along.

I can't admit to 'being wrong' when it's information from a solicitor.
No, but you might consider, in the light of what's been said that perhaps, just perhaps, the solicitor told you no such thing - it's a misunderstanding. In fact, the rest of us are confident that he didn't tell you anything remotely like what you claim.

If he did, then please post a) the question, and b) the answer.

If the solicitor did in fact tell you what you claim, then I for one will be gobsmacked - and I'll be reporting him to the SRA as incompetent.

I'm fairly confident that you'll post no such thing - either because you don't have it, or when you start copying it you realise that you were wrong all along.

You might consider instead of being self righteous with bas, that I were told that.

As I've already said, I never asked a question. I were told about a lack of certification and notification, so the policy was put in place and that's that. If my solicitor was satisfied, good enough for me.

Report who you want, as you clearly care more than I. Not believing anything a solicitor said isn't my problem, it seems to be yours and Bas's. It never cost me a thing for the policy, so I wasn't in the position to really be bothered at all. I bought a house, job done.

Sponsored Links
Report who you want, as you clearly care more than I.
Well some people care if people who are supposed to the know the law are ignorant of the basics.
Not believing anything a solicitor said isn't my problem, it seems to be yours and Bas's.
No, not believing what you have said - there's a difference. What some people do have a problem with is people who persist in stating fact which are wrong, and giving bad advice to others.
I really, really don't care what your solicitor told you, or what you believe. If you give wrong advice to others, then I care.
It never cost me a thing for the policy, so I wasn't in the position to really be bothered at all. I bought a house, job done.
Right, so we are getting there - the solicitor told you to get an indemnity policy - and you got one. That will indemnify you against costs if it turns out that the previous work was not done to the right standards. You have been told several times that the current owner is liable for that.

It will not indemnify you against a fine for the lack of notification - because the current owner cannot be fined for that. Besides, I don't think you'd find an insurance policy that would cover fines.

Report who you want, as you clearly care more than I.
Well some people care if people who are supposed to the know the law are ignorant of the basics.
Not believing anything a solicitor said isn't my problem, it seems to be yours and Bas's.
No, not believing what you have said - there's a difference. What some people do have a problem with is people who persist in stating fact which are wrong, and giving bad advice to others.
I really, really don't care what your solicitor told you, or what you believe. If you give wrong advice to others, then I care.
It never cost me a thing for the policy, so I wasn't in the position to really be bothered at all. I bought a house, job done.
Right, so we are getting there - the solicitor told you to get an indemnity policy - and you got one. That will indemnify you against costs if it turns out that the previous work was not done to the right standards. You have been told several times that the current owner is liable for that.

It will not indemnify you against a fine for the lack of notification - because the current owner cannot be fined for that. Besides, I don't think you'd find an insurance policy that would cover fines.

I never persisted in stating a fact, only what I were told. And you clearly do care, you're agruing against it. The persistancy was a case of you lot 'oh no you weren't' and me 'oh yes I were'.

You're not even reading clearly. I never bought the policy, the vendor did.

I never persisted in stating a fact, only what I were told.
But you were not told what you claim.

And on the basis of your laughably impossible claim, you've been giving bad advice and repeatedly saying things which are false.

You're not even reading clearly. I never bought the policy, the vendor did.
Have you heard a phrase including the words "pot" "calling" "kettle" and "black" ? I didn't say you bought the policy, only that you got it.

Besides, I don't think you'd find an insurance policy that would cover fines.
Indeed - and I believe at least one reason is that (for fairly obvious reasons) such insurance (insurance against fines for criminal offences) is, itself, unlawful.

Kind Regards, John

Extract from communications from my solicitor...

I have just had a reply from the sellers solicitors about the FENSA certificate required for the replacement windows saying that the installer was not FENSA registered. This brings into question 2 matters. Firstly whether or not the windows were correctly installed and you may wish to speak to your surveyor about this and whether or not the Local Authority can take any action. I can deal with the second aspect by indemnity but you may wish to investigate the installation further.

As the installer wasn't FENSA registered, to one would need to notify LABC and have them check and issue a certificate of compliance with Part L.

So where does that statement explain that council employees have the power to impose fines on people without recourse to the courts?

So where does that statement explain that council employees have the power to impose fines on people without recourse to the courts?

Again, I've never stated that at all.

Again, you're going on about that in an attempt to save face and deflect away from the original objection.

Again, I've never stated that at all.
OK, so in all the times you've talked about people being fined:
the fine if any will be levvied on the home owner and the home owner at the time may not be the person who did the work.
If they could prove the work was notifiable (dates etc) then the fine would be for non notification, if poor standard, then not complying.
Yes - I know you can be fined for a building control non compliance on your property, regardless who's comitted it.

The levy is on the house, not the offender. So who ever owns it at the time, takes the flack.
I was told as the home owner, I[/] could be landed with the fine for non notification.
No one would be jailed over it, but landed with an enforcement or possible fine is something else.

who would be imposing the fines, if not the council?

Do you have anything from your solicitor which talks about fines?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back