DNO question, new supply

I will get my solicitor to look into the legal aspects, as I want to make sure everything is done right :)

Sponsored Links
Speak to the DNO first, it may be that underground LV cables from that transformer is a non-starter. Also, as I understand it the wayleave will be granted to the DNO not to you, as the connection by whatever means will be part of their network.

Tony S

Little update.

been onto the DNO, very helpful indeed also.

I have supplied all info they need, and they say they will be back to me in 5 days.

lets see what they suggest.

Sponsored Links
So net up on site today with a very nice chap from DNO.

So underground cable is only option due to farm equipment in the area.

He feels maybe HV from other side if farm, all the way up to the plot, one pole on my land with my on tranny, then back down underground LV to external meter box.

Scared about quote due in 5 days.

I would sit down and have a stiff drink before you read your quote, I work for a DNO and it amazes me how much any works carried out by them costs, as has been said get any details of work you can carry out yourself, such as the excavations.

Thanks, all digging will be done myself, it's best part of 600m by the looks of it.

Been told I can get a quote from other people who are auth to do DNO work also, once in get scope of work.

Best get my bottle of dark rum in

About 10 years ago I was in a meeting where, (as I remember it) a distance of 500 Metres was considered too far to extend an LV supply. Anything over that distance it was considered cheaper to extend the 11KV into a new switch room. In our case it was a 600A (120KW) supply but even so, given the rise in copper prices since then I think you have have been given good advice by the DNO chap.

A customer of mine was recently quoted £7k to fit an (at a guess) 50KVA tranny to an existing 11KV overhead supply, and then run the LV 100M to a new house he is building.

All groundworks to be done by him.

Not quite connected, but two stories...

We were working on an old hill top forte which was being converted into a large home. No power ever on site according to DNO.

Digger driver began to dig a trench for services, and hit a pot ended cable in the ground near the footings. An LV PILC cable, and of some size. It was live, but DNO had no idea where from! Hill top forte with the closest farm around 800m away. No tranny or anything in vicinity. They pot ended and abandoned this unknown cable!

We carry out work for a large conservatory company, ad have a set price to install four double sockets and a light in each conservatory, it's factored into their quote.

Turned up at one job, and the fitters were using a genny. It turned out tree was no mains at this little remote cottage, never had been, and to get power there was around £100k! The old couple were used to no power, and had no intention of having it installed. They wanted the sockets putting in though, for future generations....

Haha, interesting. Weird how they would abandon the cable. Is that normal practice.

He said to be, I can chose the location of the transformer on my land so it don't spoil my views, how nice of him, lol.

There is a slightly shorter run from the other side of the land, but would need permissions to dig others land, whereas if I go from this farm side, it is wrote into the title deeds that access must be provided to get services up, also the farmer is a nice chap.

Should be an interesting project I guess.

In the 1960's I came across a mains supply to cottage that had been used during the war for some clandestine function. It was terminated on a transformer and 12 volt power supply unit. This had been bricked up in the cellar and found only when the cottage was demolished several year later. There were a couple of 12 volt cable in the cottage that supplied free lighting.

The cable was from an army camp about a mile away, the switch fuse supplying the had a notice DO NOT SWITCH OFF even though no one knew where the cable went to.

Reading the last 2 posts, I wonder where the "third drop wire" goes. Is it possible that your cottage was once fed from this? Unless it has been derelict for in excess of tens of years it would surely have had power at some time and there could be a terminated buried cable somewhere. It may be worth hiring a cable detector and having a search.

Talking to DNO man and farmer, it seems split phase is all that is available at farm, he had DNO add a supply to the steading 2 years ago, so I guess it's possible that's where it goes.

Where would I get a detector from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back