DNO question, new supply

Cant help with hire company's but your friendly DNO man may be able to help.

Sponsored Links
Haha, interesting. Weird how they would abandon the cable. Is that normal practice.

Any cable that no longer supplies any load must be made dead as close to it's point of supply as possible!

It may be worth hiring a cable detector and having a search.

Cable locators are generally designed to locate live cables that are carrying some load. So looking for an abandoned cable with no load on it will be a rather difficult job without the use of an appropriate signal generator. (oph and knowing what you are doing)

I wonder where the "third drop wire"

If you do not know what a 3 wire split single phase supply is, I would suggest you do some research!

Please note it is the ABSOLUTE duty of the DNO to get the necessary legal permissions to allow them to install their equipment on private property.
No matter what amount of money you pay them it remains their equipment.
Any advice to the contrary is totally incorrect and could lead to increased costs or legal difficulties. By all means let adjacent landowners know what you are doing but that is as far as you can go!
In the case of a cable the DNO will usually seek an easement that includes a capital sum payment to the landowner and an absolute legal right of access to the cable "ad infinitum".

Possibly a Metal Detector?

Could do as well as finding every other bit of buried metal! (though you might find a treasure trove which could pay for the supply)

P.S. see my edit above

Sponsored Links
I know what split phase is, no issues. The question was asked where the 3rd supply goes, and it's to the steading. This is why I believe no supply ever up at the cottage.

I have no need for any special requirements just a single phase supply. There was mention of 3 phase heat pups earlier in this topic. But I've decided to not go for this.

Haha, interesting. Weird how they would abandon the cable. Is that normal practice.
Any cable that no longer supplies any load must be made dead as close to it's point of supply as possible!
That makes total sense, but how does it fit with what you were saying in a recent thread? You didn't seem to see any great problem with the fact that a cable which had ceased to supply street lighting a decade or more ago had been left, live, with free taped-up ends, on the side of someone's house (where some foolish person injured himself by sawing through it!). That cable clearly had not "been made dead as close as possible to its point of supply" for at least a decade after it last supplied a load.

Kind Regards, John

That makes total sense, but how does it fit with what you were saying in a recent thread? You didn't seem to see any great problem with the fact that a cable which had ceased to supply street lighting a decade or more ago had been left, live, with free taped-up ends, on the side of someone's house (where some foolish person injured himself by sawing through it!). That cable clearly had not "been made dead as close as possible to its point of supply" for at least a decade after it last supplied a load.

I didn't have a particular issue that it was taped up, as that is how DNOs do it! I NEVER suggested that it being live, or that it had been left in place if dead, was acceptable.
I just, on that thread, didn't point folk to where the DNO had "failed", but suggested they find it out for themselves!

I also DID point out that just because it was taped up only meant that it was taped up and not live or dead which some seemed to suggest was the case.

I didn't have a particular issue that it was taped up, as that is how DNOs do it! I NEVER suggested that it being live, or that it had been left in place if dead, was acceptable. ... I just, on that thread, didn't point folk to where the DNO had "failed", but suggested they find it out for themselves! ... I also DID point out that just because it was taped up only meant that it was taped up and not live or dead which some seemed to suggest was the case.
Hmmm. I'm not sure that the 'taped up' was, in itself, the main issue but, rather, the fact that a live cable with an unterminated end had been left stuck on the side of someone's wall for a decade! As someone (I think EFLI) said, it seemed comparable to him leaving an unterminated live cable half way up someone's living room wall. Most of us were fully in agreement that to take a hacksaw to a fat electricity cable without taking steps to make absolutely sure that the cable was dead was an extremely foolish thing to do, but there also seemed to be suggestions that the DNO was not 'at fault' at all!

Kind Regards, John

Can you get a split-phase supply from your farmer neighbour's existing transformer? A 460V:230V transformer will cost around £7k, but might be cheaper than all the HV work.

Can you get a split-phase supply from your farmer neighbour's existing transformer? A 460V:230V transformer will cost around £7k, but might be cheaper than all the HV work.

I believe the cable run is too far for LV

Even at only 30A or 40A per phase? (assuming you're not heating the place with electric).

Even at only 30A or 40A per phase? (assuming you're not heating the place with electric).

Heating will be oil. Only cooking and standard stuff is Electric.

I'm just going on what DNO man said. We will see what quote comes in, then I will see what options I have,

sell the Mrs.

Pictures, please.

We like pictures! ;)
cici1_1765537a.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back