Do I do Part P course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im seeking some advice :)
I am just coming to the end of my first year of a C&G 2330. I have no previous experience and dont currently work in the electrical area.

In september, on top of my 2nd year of 2330, I am thinking about doing a 10day Part P course to get an EAL Domestic Installers certificate. Moreso to get some more knowledge as getting a job as a sparkys mate might take longer than I hope.

I hope I've made sense but basically in your experience is it worth doing, would I learn much more than in 2330?

Its gonna cost me approx £1200 with the time off work so I want to make sure its worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
If you were thinking of going alone then yes Id say go for it but as you are looking to work as an electricians mate then you would find the company or electrician you are working for would already be classed as a domestic installer so it wouldnt be that useful to you in your current situation especially if you found work with an electrical contractor who dont do domestic.

ive completed my C&G level 2 and 3 2330 all all i need now is to complete my NVQ - I haven't yet thought about any domestic installers schemes as I personally feel it isnt a neccessity at this point , my advice is get the experience and complete your NVQ

Good luck with it all.

What do you think you are going to learn on a 10 day wonder course, that you won't on the 2330. As said before, look for a job as a mate and learn the trade. To do the job as a one-man band, you'll need quals and experience.

You have probably already covered more in 2330 L2 than you ever would on a 10 day part p course.

Sponsored Links
As above - I have completed level 3 and it does cover everything , in fact your level 2 includes a hell of a lot of what would be included in a DI course , the course is more appealing to lets say a kitchen fitter who for years have been adding extra sockets and including the work in the kitchen quote however he would now need to get an electician in to do it , do it and notify the council or do the course and sign of his own work.

Hers some info on your level 3 content http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_construction_electrical/2330-level-3-handbook-v2-2.pdf

Its gonna cost me approx £1200 with the time off work so I want to make sure its worthwhile.
Complete waste of money and time.

Those 10 day courses were designed for people who were working as electricians already, but had either never done a course such as the 2330, or had done it a long time ago so needed an update.

Unfortunately, they now seem to be promoted as some kind of miracle where someone with no experience of electrical work at all can be transformed into a qualified electrician in 2 weeks. Clearly that cannot happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back