Do I need a new electric certificate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK. so in short.

The flat was rented out and already had certificate. i bought it and had some renovation work done. It had new electric for spot light supply in the ceiling.

New electrics in the bathroom.

New plugs put around (about 6)

Nothing had been touched in the fuse box.

Do I need to get a certificate if I want to Live in there myself OR Rented out?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do I need to get a certificate if I want to Live in there myself
No, but what kind of electrician did you use who didn't issue one?

Was he the guy who put sockets 150mm from the hob?

He did test it all properly, didn't he?

OR Rented out?
There's no explicit requirement for one, unlike gas, but given your duty of care as a landlord you'd be bonkers not to have one. Could well be mandated by your insurer(s) anyway.

Depends where you live, England, Scotland and Wales all different, in general ANY electrical work should have some certificate, be it minor works, installation or electrical installation condition report for Scottish rented the latter needs some qualifications every where else there is no special qualification required, new electrics in bathroom will need extra paperwork from scheme operator or LABC.

in general ANY electrical work should have some certificate, be it minor works, installation or electrical installation condition report for Scottish rented the latter needs some qualifications every where else there is no special qualification required,

I take it from that, that only Scotland requires certification. Or is it just rented accommodation? Or does the OP just take his pick?o_O

Sponsored Links
If it already had an electrical safety certificate, and you were issued a certificate of compliance for the new works, then you're fine Certificate for rented properties tend to last 10 years, unless you're in a selective licencing area, then it's every 5 - but that's in England, no idea in Scotland or Wales.

There's no such thing as a Certificate for rented properties in England apart from HMOs licensed by the Council.

HMOs require licencing everywhere, but Gordon Brown brought in a selective licencing scheme to allow councils to specify areas that needed careful monitoring to de designated as selective licencing areas. This then imposes the same sort or conditions that HMOs require to get a licence. One annoying thing is that the licences run from 5 years from the date of the scheme, not from when you join the scheme, but the bigger one, - at least in my areas - is that it's an inept bunch of idiots running it.

Amazing.

Who would have thought that starving organisations of resources and continually denigrating the people who work in them would tend to lower the quality of people prepared to work there.

but Gordon Brown brought in a selective licencing scheme to allow councils to specify areas that needed careful monitoring to de designated as selective licencing areas.
I have not heard of that.

Had a quick read and it seems to apply to less desirable areas, so, in future, except HMOs and designated areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back