Do I Need A Reroof

Sponsored Links
I'll pass on the cruise thanks :D kind of you to offer though :cool:

Now spoken to the council, yet again, and they have said that new slate on front and back is fine as long as roofer states that the slates are too wasted to reuse.

Now comes another chat with said roofer......

Got another firm coming round on Saturday for another quote, I'll see what they think about reusing.

Also got another quote in, for doing the whole thing, front and back, in Burlington Blue. £12.5k after VAT :( out of budget, which is a real pain. Doing back along would be £7k, which I can cope with as long as I get the grant.

Sponsored Links
Back is 78 sq m, but I don't know what the front is. It's nowhere near as big, but does have a bay as well as a dormer (I think that's what you call it, when a window and part of a ceiling stick out of the roof).

Well, here's the official response from the council planning dept:

I refer to your various emails regarding the re-roofing of your house.
I can confirm the following:

"*Planning permission would not be required for the 'repair' of the roof (either or both roof slopes). The details of this type of repair work could be agreed in writing with the planning authority. The work would involve carefully removing the existing slate by hand working from the ridge downwards to ensure maximum salvage, assessing and sorting slate and re-laying in the same way, in dimishing courses, making up any shortfall of slates with second-hand Scotch slate to match. This type of work would be elligible for grant whether you decided to repair the front and back roof slopes or back only. This type of repair would, as you have identified yourself, retain the traditional character and appearance of the roof.

* Planning permision would be required for the reslating of the roof with a new slate (whether one slope or both). It would be acceptable to reslate with new Burlington blue of random sizes laid in diminishing courses. Burlington blue has been identified as the closest match to traditionall Scotch slate. This would only be grant elligible if all of the roof was to be reslated, and not just one slope."

So, I'm basically screwed, unless I can find a roofer who can reuse my slate on the back only, for less than £6k :(

Ok, got some progress on this.

Doing both sides of the roof is out of the question, due to "budget contstraints", the council/Historic Scotland are claiming that there will be a £3k cap on any grant. I really need £6k for it to be viable.

However, I've managed to get in a few more quotes from roofers for doing the back, in new Burlington Blue slate, and to be fair, they are quite reasonable.

So I'm going to fill out the planning application and send off an acceptance for the work to start.

Will probably be June/July before it will start, but then you'll get good pictures :)

Your roof is suffering from whats called 'nail sickness' that is the slates may be sound but the nails that hold them on the roof have corroded which means every time there is a bit of wind some slates will come out.

The only solution is to consider reroofing, you could reuse the old slates but they are random sizes and are quite small which would mean a lot of extra work.

Doing both sides of the roof is out of the question, due to "budget contstraints", the council/Historic Scotland are claiming that there will be a £3k cap on any grant. I really need £6k for it to be viable.

However, I've managed to get in a few more quotes from roofers for doing the back, in new Burlington Blue slate, and to be fair, they are quite reasonable.

So I'm going to fill out the planning application and send off an acceptance for the work to start.

Will probably be June/July before it will start, but then you'll get good pictures :)
One option is you could have your roof spraybonded underneath the slates this cures your nail sickness and means you don't have to reroof, PS. the can be issues with condensation with this method so be careful with the contractor you use.

One option is you could have your roof spraybonded underneath the slates this cures your nail sickness and means you don't have to reroof, PS. the can be issues with condensation with this method so be careful with the contractor you use.

Not a chance :) I haven't read a single good thing about spraying anything on the underside of a roof!

I've actually just accepted one of the quotes for the work, and the planning permission application goes in this week, so assuming that is accepted, I should have a newly slated back of roof by the end of the summer :)

Totally agree chucka.
In my opinion, anyone who has their roof sprayed with this stuff is nuts.
I would not work on a roof that has had this done or buy a property that has had it done without the cost of a re roof being deducted from the price.

Well feck me! Job starts on Monday! Wasn't expecting that one so quickly.

Seeing as it'll still be light when I get home, you can get pictures :)

Hey chuka.
Hope all goes well.
The job has probably started so soon as lots of new builds are being put on hold in this slow down.
Good luck.

scaffold is going up as we speak. Work starts on Monday.

I'm looking forward to getting the roof done, however I'm not looking forward to the report of the chimney. It needs (at best) re-pointing, but they pointed out it may need rebuilt if the stonework is in too poor condition. If that's the case, I simply don't have the cash to do so, so fingers crossed it doesn't come to that!!

Will post pics of before, during and after as soon as I can

That is a relatively 'new' roof even if the actual slates are original.

The roof was not layed by a qualified 'slater'!

Check out how many straight bonded perpends you can spot!

The only thing keeping the weather out is the underfelt!

You say 'sarking board', are you in Scotland?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back