Do I need a trap on a dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a bit of a balls up when prepping the pipework for my new kitchen, I assumed that integrated dishwashers had space behind them for pipes!

Apparently I was wrong, so the standpipe type trap has had to come out.

I've bought a connector to put the dishwasher waste straight on to a 40mm 1½ BSP compression fitting, but should I still put a trap in?

Last thing I want is drain smells in my dishwasher!

Sponsored Links
Yes ,you need the waste water to go through a trap.
Can you connect it to a sink trap ?

Sponsored Links
How far away from the sink is the appliance ?
There's a 900x900 corner unit in the way...

I'm currently trying to find a shallow trap which fits under the 150mm high units...

I'm very confused as to why no-one seems to sell an appliance trap which takes a flexi hose outlet

Can the standpipe and trap fit behind a cupboard that's adjacent to the appliance ,to the left or right of it ?

Can the standpipe and trap fit behind a cupboard that's adjacent to the appliance ,to the left or right of it ?

Sadly not, for some reason DIY kitchens decided to leave very little utility void!

I've found a flexi hose spigot which fits on to the trap that came with the standpipe (with a little modification!) I'll see if that works!

Will it matter if there is no way for air to get in?

There's a 900x900 corner unit in the way...

I'm currently trying to find a shallow trap which fits under the 150mm high units...

I'm very confused as to why no-one seems to sell an appliance trap which takes a flexi hose outlet
Has to discharge at high level to avoid siphoning .

Sadly not, for some reason DIY kitchens decided to leave very little utility void!

I've found a flexi hose spigot which fits on to the trap that came with the standpipe (with a little modification!) I'll see if that works!

Will it matter if there is no way for air to get in?
Yes needs air admittance .

Attachments

• 17116660991903022688447969209581.jpg
    17116660991903022688447969209581.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 13
Alter the base unit back to accommodate the standpipe/ trap combo.
Is the wall hollow ,could trap be set back ,past the plasterboard ?

Not at low level , can you put another waste thru wall to drain to accommodate ?

Don't think so...

Just out of interest, what's the problem with the dishwasher outputting directly to the trap?

I'm a novice when it comes to the waste water side of plumbing!

Sorry to bump this thread, but is it actually possible to buy a standalone appliance trap that's not a standpipe?

Is it either that or a combination sink/appliance trap?

If I'm wasting my time with continuing to search please let me know!

And what is the purpose of this item?!

What can it be connected to? It's too big to attached to any sink trap assembly I've seen!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back