Do I really need a new boiler ?

It‘s not just £200 labour though really. Cost of fuel, training, et al. Cost of fixed price repair from Worcester possibly cheaper option for you if you don’t want to pay £475.
training etc...spat me tea out

Sponsored Links
Dead money repairing a 10 year old boiler.

While on a course in Worcester I was told WB make their boilers to last 10 years.

New boiler with 10 year warranty I think is the way to go
I have been quoted £475 (parts & labour) for external expansion vessel, PRV and Gas Valve on a WB Greenstar junior which is just over 10 years old by 2 local gas fitters.

I rang for parts and it came to,
£100 vessel
£15 PRV
£150 Gas Valve
So £200 labour.

However some others I rang said it would be better if I just replaced the boiler costing me £1700 ?

I can manage paying £475 but £1700 ???
all of that money and I'd bet my life he could not describe a prime number lol
when in doubt, make it up...

I don't have a problem with paying £475.

Am just questioning why some of the fitters have just told me to buy a new boiler.
Some cannot fix boilers. Others just want to sell you a boiler. A repair will have no issue repairing a boiler much older than yours and he will give you both options, then you decide

Why is the gas valve being replaced?

I'd bet my life he could not describe a prime number lol
I'd prefer that they were competent gas
engineers, rather than mathematicians :)

..anyway, don't talk to me about primes, at least, not for another four years! ;)

Sponsored Links
Some cannot fix boilers. Others just want to sell you a boiler. A repair will have no issue repairing a boiler much older than yours and he will give you both options, then you decide

Why is the gas valve being replaced?

Loud vibrating noises coming from the boiler but it only starts doing this when the heating has been on for 10-15 mins. Doesn't do it otherwise. Not even when the hot taps are running.

Last edited:
It would help if you described the symptoms
1. Losing pressure after each heat cycle (having to fill up with filling loop).

2. Loud vibrating noises coming from the boiler but it only starts doing this when the heating has been on for 10-15 mins. Doesn't do it otherwise. Not even when the hot taps are running.

Dead money repairing a 10 year old boiler.

While on a course in Worcester I was told WB make their boilers to last 10 years.

New boiler with 10 year warranty I think is the way to go
Can you recommend a new boiler for around £1000 (exc fitting) for a 3 bed terrace ?

1. Losing pressure after each heat cycle (having to fill up with filling loop).

2. Loud vibrating noises coming from the boiler but it only starts doing this when the heating has been on for 10-15 mins. Doesn't do it otherwise. Not even when the hot taps are running.
Mmm I'd echo DP - why is the gas valve being replaced? I don't see any connection, and it's the biggest cost.

Can you recommend a new boiler for around £1000 (exc fitting) for a 3 bed terrace ?
Ideal Logic max. But there are others just as good that the installer may prefer

What is really frightening is how unreliable modern pressurised systems are.

"Old" vented-to-atmosphere systems with a small vent and feed tank in the loft, go on for years and years; 20 - 30 years is not uncommon. However, the three modern pressurised systems I have inherited in various houses, have been nothing but a pain in the a**e, needing regular attention, blocked safety valves, re-charging expansion vessels and recharging water etc. Luckily I have the knowledge and skills to work out what has gone wrong and can fix it. But then you get boilers with built-in expansion vessels which require removal of the boiler to replace them - crazy.

In my cynical moments, I can't help wondering if manufacturers are deliberately creating far less reliable systems to gain money on repairs and resales.

What is really frightening is how unreliable modern pressurised systems are.

"Old" vented-to-atmosphere systems with a small vent and feed tank in the loft, go on for years and years; 20 - 30 years is not uncommon. However, the three modern pressurised systems I have inherited in various houses, have been nothing but a pain in the a**e, needing regular attention, blocked safety valves, re-charging expansion vessels and recharging water etc. Luckily I have the knowledge and skills to work out what has gone wrong and can fix it. But then you get boilers with built-in expansion vessels which require removal of the boiler to replace them - crazy.

In my cynical moments, I can't help wondering if manufacturers are deliberately creating far less reliable systems to gain money on repairs and resales.
My WB Greenstar Junior doesn't need to be removed to replace the expansion vessel as it can be slipped out from the top (the flue is sideways).

Although it seems like a boiler needs replacing every 10-15 years at £2000 a go.

Had another gas engineer out today. Says the loud vibrating noises could be because of the trap which is full and got dirt in it. Although the noise didn't come whilst he was there.

Reactions: CBW
Says the loud vibrating noises could be because of the trap which is full and got dirt in it.
The trap is full ... full of what ... water? Some grey residue (dirt) in the trap would be normal, can't see that causing loud vibrating noises. Hopefully he emptied it? More likely to be a noisy fan or pump rattling the case/frame.

Can you post a vid/recording of the noise?

Reactions: CBW
The trap is full ... full of what ... water? Some grey residue (dirt) in the trap would be normal, can't see that causing loud vibrating noises. Hopefully he emptied it? More likely to be a noisy fan or pump rattling the case/frame.

Can you post a vid/recording of the noise?

The trap is full of water and grey dirt. I haven't been able to record with decent sound on my phone but this on youtube at 1.00 minute is exactly how mine is sounding. I don't think its the case because I put my hand on the case and didn't feel anything nor did it make any difference to the sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back