Do I really need a new boiler ?

The trap is full of water and grey dirt. I haven't been able to record with decent sound on my phone but this on youtube at 1.00 minute is exactly how mine is sounding. I don't think its the case because I put my hand on the case and didn't feel anything nor did it make any difference to the sound.

This one at 47 seconds is the same too but seems like it was the gas valve setting ?

Sponsored Links
Neither of those movies are of your boiler are they?

The trap being full of water and grey dirt is pretty normal and just a service item, wouldn't suspect that of creating noise. if the boiler is overpressurising when hot then it may need a replacement EV, if the existing is burst and nothing excessive there.

If you boiler is making a foghorn type noise then it may be the gas valve but not sure the juniors' are susceptible to that, some makes of boiler are - Ideal springs to mind - other pros more familiar with them may be able to advise. If the boiler is in good condition apart from that then I wouldn't be recommending a new boiler.

Hmmm I have had this on a boiler...poor servicing by an engineer, the boiler was half full of water as the condensate drain was blocked at the trap.. The boiler started banging and chucked out more white smoke than electing a pope. It was only found after the water level rose to the spark detector...

From the tide mark it had been running for months at a 1/4 full...only when it got cold and the boiler started firing for longer did it fill up to the detector and switch off the boiler.

Im with @Madrab on this, think you have an expansion problem and the noise is the pressure releif valve operating, easy to check when it starts making the noise what does the pressure guage read ? if near 3 Bar then you have found the problem

Sponsored Links
Im with @Madrab on this, think you have an expansion problem and the noise is the pressure releif valve operating, easy to check when it starts making the noise what does the pressure guage read ? if near 3 Bar then you have found the problem
I already know I have a expansion vessel problem when I pressed the Schroeder valve and water started coming out.
When the heating is on, the pressure does go to 3 bar (in the red). I just assumed the if the pressure valve is released then it rarely seats back correctly thus needing a new PRV.

Am concerned at the noise the boiler starts making. It may be because of the boiler over pressuring but it does sound quite violent as in the sample videos I've posted.

I will get the Vessel changed and take it from there.

The noise you are hearing is the pressure releif valve operating, they can be extremely loud

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back