do you need water regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to get my bathroom changed . do i need to pay for a proper plumber with a water regs cert , or can i get a CHEAPER handy man to install it for me ???
many thanks

Sponsored Links
fresh from my corgi inspection , this is what the Inspector said

Any installation is notifiable under Part g of the building regs , for the installer to notify they have to be a member of a competent person scheme , to be a member of a cps they have a recognised qualification in plumbing .

When the work is completed , they notify via there CPS provider who inturn notify your local building control dept.

So get someone in expirenced , qualified and a cps member . They will have public liability insurance .

Just take it back to the shop you bought it from and tell them it was an unwanted Xmas present, they're sure to change it for something else ... My wife does it all the time.

Incidentally, what do you want to change it for ... A larger size?

Sponsored Links
Well I have water regs and now forgotten most of them. But I haven't joined the part G scheme, anyway at this time of year to get me to do anything but heating or electricery is impossibility.

What's the consesus on here do I now need to do part G? I thought corgi was flanneling on this one and nobody was bothering with it.

To the op I would say don't be so rediculous 98% of plumbing jobs are done by unqualified and of those that are done by qualified I suppose 1% of those are notifying.

10 to 1 this post is a corgi worm to frighten us into registering for part G.

i have my WRAS quallification which was a BPEC exam i remember doing but i'm not a member of a CPS for plumbing. So from when exactly does all this come in like it has with Gas.

Also apart from Corgi who else does the CPS for plumbing?

To the op I would say don't be so rediculous 98% of plumbing jobs are done by unqualified and of those that are done by qualified I suppose 1% of those are notifying.

Agreed and isn't likely to change in my lifetime ... Unless, of course, whole families start drowning because of a badly fitted ball cock :LOL:

Just take it back to the shop you bought it from and tell them it was an unwanted Xmas present, they're sure to change it for something else ... My wife does it all the time.
Next she is going to swap you for

Incidentally, ............... want to change it for ... A larger size?

I thought Corgi would have learnt by now, first they bought us Part P CPS 8 months before it became legal and then they tell folks to swap bathrooms like for like you need to join another CPS.Rubbish!Then again they did originally charge 175 for you to join the part G scheme to register unventeds and plumbing, now they let us have free it with gas reg.(might ask for my £175 back).

You only need to notify building control under part G if the room in which you are installing the bathroom suite has never been used for that purpose before and thats only because BC are interested in the waste which is why all saniflos are notifiable.

The above info came direct from my LABC inspector on a recent visit to my home having split my garage in half to create a new downstair shower room.not sure how im going to get the car out now though. :LOL:

lcgs said:
You only need to notify building control under part G if the room in which you are installing the bathroom suite has never been used for that purpose before and thats only because BC are interested in the waste which is why all saniflos are notifiable.

The above info came direct from my LABC inspector on a recent visit to my home having split my garage in half to create a new downstair shower room.not sure how im going to get the car out now though. :LOL:

I too have just had work done and signed off by LABC , and he said the exact same as yours .

The work discussed is covered in the Building Control Notification or Planning Permission and is inspected on completion by an officer to ensure it complies before they issue a certificate , SO should i register again in april for Part G ?? if they are going to get a certificate anyway !!

I asked him about like for like , changing w/c and fitting a service valve and in doing some i have complied with water regs . He said they are not interested in that .

However the CORGI inspector (who run a Part G CPS) showed me a document for the ODPM or something COMMUNITIES which cleary said the words ALL Installation work is notifable . I explained what LABC had said to me within the last 8 weeks and he said that they are all saying different thngs ,but what he had was fact .

He also said not many people have joined most are sitting on the fence , and no one has been prosecuted yet .

I have registered for Part P and Part G (main reason at time was Unvented , now this is free for RGI`s)

There is no requirement for somebody to be regs qualified or registered with any official body to work on domestic water systems.

The responsibility for regulatory compliance lies with:
i) The Commissioner of the work (whoever wants the job doing)
ii) The installer
iii) The end user

As the average householder does not have a working understanding of water regulations they can pretect themselves by using an approved plumber or somebody who is regs qualified who can issue them a certificate of complaince. This would be a defence to any prosecution or action that may arise.
If you use a non-approved plumber and the work doesn't comply then it would be deemed to be your fault just as much as the plumbers.

Corgi have recently changed their tune about Part G, when i registered initially their list of tasks needing registration was new installs with new waste.Reading the latest list it includes like for like swaps.

Might be sceptical but nobody joined because if its a new bathroom then usually LABC are involved so need to, so if they changed what they say needs to be notified ie like for like, would people then register thinking they had too.

Since these schemes are money making a just wonder.

Napit run a plumbing and ventilation scheme also, their plumbing didn't list like for like. Shame they lost out in the gas; for the mean time anyway.

Lee.

arfurrrr said:
Any installation is notifiable under Part g of the building regs , for the installer to notify they have to be a member of a competent person scheme , to be a member of a cps they have a recognised qualification in plumbing .

Its not an installation though, and you don't need to be a competent gas worker to install a bathroom.

lcgs said:
Corgi have recently changed their tune about Part G, when i registered initially their list of tasks needing registration was new installs with new waste.Reading the latest list it includes like for like swaps.

and Corgi would have absolutely no interest in bathroom work unless it involves gas work on the boiler...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back