Does tectured paint make a smooth wall look like painted render?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a daft question but I see a lot of products advertised as "textured paint" but it never goes into detail as to what the texture looks like/what the finished result will be. I've got a room where 3 of the walls will be sand/cemend rendered and the other wall is smooth, but I want it to look the same as the rendered walls.. So if I had a smooth skimmed wall and I wanted it looking like painted sand/cement render, would I use a textured paint, or would I use an ordinary paint with sand mixed in?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly my problem- loads of places sell "textured paint", but there's never any indication of what texture you end up with and as your Google image search shows, there are a thousand variations on the theme..

So what do I buy to paint a smooth wall so it ends up a bit sandy/gritty looking?

Sponsored Links
Try a textured masonry paint. That has a fine sand already in it and, as you are painting render on the other walls, a masonry paint would be suitable anyway. (Masonry paint isn't ideal to use on bare interior plaster, but can be used without issue, if you apply a slightly diluted first coat.)

For example:

fine-textured-masonry-paint-home-sidebar.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back