Doing a course?

zug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am keen to do some DIY Electric Wiring so I would like to do a college course on Electrics. Can anybody a good course to get started with? I don't really see it as a career but I am keen to learn in general. It would also help my career in IT as it involves a lot of cabling.
Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
It is very hard for anyone to teach DIY electrics. In the main most DIY people cut corners and botch up the jobs they do. I am not saying they are dangerous but they have not followed the rules.

The main problem for most DIY people is however much they would like to comply the instrumentation required to do it correct costs too much.

About the only collage type course not designed for Electricians is City and Guilds 2377-02 & 2377- 01 these teach people how to "PAT" test and are often designed to teach "Allied Trades" so the IT guy can test his own equipment. And also for managers so they understand their responsibilities.

Having qualifications is not always good. If someone can prove you should know better then this can be a disadvantage. I can't say I didn't know the plug with the cord grip missing was dangerous as any solicitor would point out I have a degree in electrical engineering so I would have realised this was not permitted. But when not employed as an electrician not so easy to tell the boss "I'm not using that". And even when not working as an electrician I can't un-pass my exams.

The main problem for most DIY people is however much they would like to comply the instrumentation required to do it correct costs too much.
Disagree. The equipment can be hired for less than £100 for a week or bought outright for a few hundred more. It can very easily be cost effective to buy the kit and throw it away rather than pay an electrician. Of course a sensible person would flog it on EBay, or maybe even buy it there in the first place.

The main problem, IMO, for most DIY people doing notificable work is the approach of the person inspecting your work. Electricians disagree on what is acceptable themselves. If you get one who doesn't like the way you did something (although another one says it is fine) then that can cause hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back