Domestic house rewire by non uk qualified electrician

gbrown100 said:
They shouldn't ask me to get someone in. What's the alternative here? I know they don't have the facility to do it so what's next. Remember, I am potentially going to do something out of the norm here, I really don't want to get massively embroiled in a dispute with the local BC people. Of course, it depends how much it costs to get a certified person to sign it off...
All real and practical concerns, and you are probably boldly going.

3rd party certification is a vexed issue - many electricians are reluctant to do it, even though EICs have always come in a version which separates out the responsibilities of designer, installer, and inspector and tester. But one of the competent person schemes is run by NAPIT - the National Association of Professional Inspectors & Testers - you'd think they would be philosophically disposed to I&T work.

If you can find someone, or if the council can find you someone, and the cost is not too great, you may decide to opt for a quiet life.

OTOH, I don't believe that if push comes to shove the council can do anything if you stick to your guns and say "You've had the notice, I've paid the fee and you are responsible for checking that the work complies."

The law requires you to notify them - you have done that.

The law requires this, and only this concerning the work itself:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury.

P2 Sufficient information shall be provided so that persons wishing to operate, maintain or alter an electrical installation can do so with reasonable safety.

As long as you do those things, they can't come after you for the work, or make you change anything.

They may refuse to issue a completion certificate, in which case you'll have to decide whether to write off the £60, or take action against them for its return or to force them to issue a certificate. There may be a dispute resolution process for situations where an LABC is refusing a certificate.

To be honest, I am not sure what the difference between a ring and a ring final is.
Nothing. The proper term for the circuit commonly called a "ring", or a "ring main" is "ring final", that's all.

Someone was telling me that it's possible that rings may not be used in the future and that they may just start using radials everywhere with 4mm cable instead.
It's a rumour that bubbles along all the time. They are a UK quirk, which came about as a pragmatic solution to a combination of problems. Historically we had radials too - 15A ones using those old round-pin plugs. Houses had few circuits and few sockets, and what there were were used for radios, standard lamps etc. There arose a need to be able to support a few number of fairly fixed, distributed large loads - basically electric fires, one per room, at a time when there was a copper shortage and when materials were more expensive than labour. By adding a cable from the last socket back to the fusebox the circuit could then be made a 30A one, and the British Ring Main was born.

And typical of the British, they then started to believe that it was superior to Johnny Foreigner's radials. People would point to the safety benefit of two earths to each socket, saying that if there was a break in the earth wire you'd still have an earth. They would conveniently ignore the fact that a similar break in live or neutral would mean that you now had, undetected, two under-protected radials and not a ring.

They introduce testing complications, with all sorts of rigmarole to be done to verify their integrity (and this is where your Dutch friend would struggle the most).

The original justification for them has gone - people don't have many electric fires these days, nearly all loads are small, except for the kitchen where they are all in close proximity. There are millions of houses where the kitchen is the closest room to the CU under the stairs, and the engineering justification for a 32A circuit wired with 20A cable starts to look a bit flaky when there are a lot of heavy loads at one end. (Ignoring the topological inconsistency of a ring having ends...)

Finally they are problematic to maintain. All of the issues of spurring, such as limiting the number of spurs, and only allowing one accessory on an unfused spur, simply go away when you have a radial circuit, as you can branch off to your heart's content.

If I were rewiring from scratch, I'm not sure I'd bother with rings, but whether the IEE are concerned enough to bother to publish another amendment to the regs to ban them, I don't know.

I guess doing it this way would probably suit my electrician friend down to the ground - the only problem would be that the cables probably would'nt fit down the capping that is in the walls at the moment.
I have bad news for you - don't be at all surprised if you can't pull new cables through the capping anyway. Be prepared to chase new channels - and in which case install oval conduit, not capping. Make sure you and your man are aware of the rules for buried cables:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

And note - radials don't have to be in 4mm² - 2.5mm² on a 20A breaker is OK, subject to cable installation method.

If you are going to do something more extensive than just pull new cables through existing routes, you might like to think about what circuits/sockets/switches etc you'll need, rather than just rewiring what's already there.

The items on the list below may not all apply to you, but they are worth looking at to get you thinking:

1. Upstairs sockets
  2. Downstairs sockets
  3. Kitchen sockets
  4. Radial for appliances
  5. Cooker circuit
  6. Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  7. Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  8. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  9. Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  10. Upstairs lights
  11. Downstairs lights
  12. Immersion heater
  13. Shower
  14. Alarm
  15. Supply for outside lights
  16. Supply for garden electrics
  17. Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the rings run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

Plus a few spares on RCD & non-RCD sides for expansion beyond that for future unforeseen needs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back