Door Closing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a problem when trying to close my living room door. I'ts not that the door dosent fit or wont close but if you push the door to close it, not completely but, closed as so the catch touches the strike plate and then let go, the door springs back about 8 inches as if something is forcing it back open. This is only a problem becuase if you want to close the door properly it means you have to push it firmly into the frame and then let go of the handle without releasing the pressure on the door, otherwise the door just springs open again becuse it dosent catch in time.

When you push the door closed, when its still about 8 inches open, you can feel a very slight resistance change. I thought it might be paint on the hinges (and there was a lot of paint on them) so, i removed it all down to bare metal but it didnt help.

I cant see anything else that might be causing it, any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
christ i even heard that down in sussex :D
yep defo sounds like its hinge bound,check as alrady said or see how deep theve been cut in and packout accordingly.

Sponsored Links
OK i did a bit of reading up on "hinge bound" and its possible I might have created this problem myself whilst sorting out another problem.

We had a problem where the door wouldnt close at all because the top left corner of the door was striking the the frame when you closed it. You could close it but you would have to give it a hefty bang to get it into the frame. When closed you could see that the top left corner was leaning against the frame like the door was put in on the wonk, no rpoblem in the middle or at the bottom, there was a healthy gap.

What I did to solve this was to take the top hinge off at the frame and chiseled a deeper recess and then screwed it back in. This solved the problem by pulling the door over to the right. The door now closes perfectly with an even gap all round.

Do you think this is what is causing it to now bounce back open? I really cant remember whether it did it before because we never bothered closing the door.

Any solutions that dont end up going back to the old problem would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Wont that just mean i go back to the old problem of not been able to fit the door in the frame?

Get the hinge correct and plane the door or adjust the liner.
Either way its not going to go away.

The hinge needs to be correct.

What if i was to set the the bottom hinge in the same as the top one, would that make a difference?

If you rebate the lower hinge the problem will get worse, back off the screws in the top hinge and slide a thin piece of card behind front edge of hinge re-tighten hinge and see if it's free, if it binds at hinge try a little more card if it touches the frame you are going to have to trim door, no other option as Alarm mentioned.

It may not be the hinges, so don't pack them out until it is certain

The door could be hitting the stop on the hanging jamb, or the door edge on the hinge side may not be square and so the back edge hits the lining whist the front edge still has a gap

Just look at the hinge side from either side of the door whist closing it and you should be able to see what is happening

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back