door contact/switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, been asked to wire up something in a factory that will switch off the Ambirad overhead heaters as the big doors are opened.

Does anybody have an idea of what to use at the door end please? its two doors that meet in the middle.

I thought about using a contactor in a small enclosure at the supply end to stop the supply to the heaters that are all wired on one radial.

Thanks for replies

Sponsored Links
To detect the operation of a door I'd use some sort of limit switch - either the roller, arm, proximity or vane type.
What is your position within the organisation?

doorman.gif

(Only kidding! ;) )

Sponsored Links
What is your position within the organisation?[/quote]

not sure why you'd want to know this but I don't work for the firm

Nothing personal, just you are asking about carrying out work in a place of work so the advice given will depend on wether or not you are an electrician.

How do the doors open, are they sliding? I'm thinking some sort of switch like I said above will do the job, one on either door.

How do the doors open, are they sliding? I'm thinking some sort of switch like I said above will do the job, one on either door.

yes thanks, ive been looking on RS website and I think I have found something suitable.
Thinking of wiring two limit switches in series back to a contactor to remove power form the heaters.

how often are the doors opened and closed per hour'day?

Just wondered if the ambirad heaters you mentioned should be turned on and off in the manner in which you wish to control them? once or twice an hour would be fine, but if the doors are opening and closing quite frequently this may prove to be less efficient as a means of heating if they are constantly shutting down and starting up?

sorry, no cartoon to acompany this post...maybe Bas can find another in his collection :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back