Door handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a door handle (photo) which has worked its way a bit loose. I can tell there are screws of some kind hidden by the chrome ring as that should sit tight against the door but it's not at present. The thing is I can't see how to get to those to tighten them.

There appears to be a socket underneath the handle itself which I thought might be for an Allen key but it's round. Is this is the way to gain access? And if so, what do I need to do what's necessary?

Thanks
Del

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
You need to remove the grub screw. Get down and have a good look. Remove the grub screw and the whole thing should come away, revealing the fastenings underneath. Can't find the image now but I googled for chrome door handle instructions.

The chrome ring unscrews and reveals the fixing screws, but these are usually just to hold the plate so the ring can be screwed on. They don't hold the handle to the door, this job is done by the grub screw [which may have come loose and fallen out] these lock the handle onto the centre spindle bar and take the strain when the door handle is pulled.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the explanation. I can't see anything in the hole so I'm assuming the grub screw has fallen out and been lost at some stage. But I can't unscrew the chrome ring; there's no movement at all in in. Any ideas?

Weak wrists? If all else fails you can get pump pliers on it after first wrapping in several layers of masking tape to prevent scratching the chrome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back