uPVC Front door not locking properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a uPVC exterior door which is locked by turning the handle up and then turning the key. Recently the key has been sticking and won't lock the mechanism without a struggle. The handle turns up smoothly and isn't tight but the key action is causing the problem. If I repeat the process with the door open it works perfectly, very smooth as expected, but as soon as the door is closed the key sticks.

I changed the lock cylinder with that from another uPVC door but the problem was still there.

Is this something I can possibly fix myself without calling out a locksmith?

Sponsored Links
Door has probably dropped a little causing lock mechanism to bind, you need to realign.

Ok thanks I will check the hinges first. If those are already tight how can I get this problem solved? When I last looked I didn't see any kind of adjustment screw you get on some hinges to lower or raise the door.

Sponsored Links
The first thing to check to see if it has been "toed and heeled" properly. because of the weight of the glass and the flimsyness of the plastic frames the door can drop out of "squareness". Check for this by comparing the top of the door against the fixed frame. If the top of the door is not parallel to the frame it needs to be re-toed and heeled.
The piece of glass must be packed up so it is tight at the bottom corner nearest the hinge and the top opposite corner. This way the glass is acting as a diagonal strut keeping the frame straight. The packing must be on BOTH edges at the two corners.
So jamb the door open, lever of the trims and try not to let the glass fall out, inspect the packing. If you are a professional, get your opo to lift the outer edge of the door, while you slide in more spacers in the right place. if you are an amateur, lift the outer edge of the door and support it with soft wood packing , using a narrow bit at the top so it rest on the flat bit of the door frame that can not be seen.
When the door is square, re-fit trims, check lock action.
frank

Before trying to realign, make sure to loosen the screws so that the door could adjust freely when you try to budge it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back