dormer roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys help is needed.My builder has just completed new dormer roof.He has put three layers of felt,.one plain and two layers of green mineral felt.In plans it says roof should have chippings embedded in tar on top of roof.I have asked my builder to do so but he says it,s not necessary.Most of the dormer roofs have chiping on them.Can someone tell me if its necessary to have chipping embeded on top of flat roof,if so ,why.

Sponsored Links
The whole idea of stones chipping, it break down the rain into fine mist and soundproofing if the stone are topped up, it also help to make it fire resistance and also to keep the sun off preventing damaged as black collect heat and keeping the roof cooler. The most popular choice these days are the aluminum roof coating silver paint instead of chipping stones.

I just hope your isn't the roofing felt for the shed roof type? Can you take a picture?

masona said:
The whole idea of stones chipping, it break down the rain into fine mist and soundproofing if the stone are topped up, it also help to make it fire resistance and also to keep the sun off preventing damaged as black collect heat and keeping the roof cooler. The most popular choice these days are the aluminum roof coating silver paint instead of chipping stones.

I just hope your isn't the roofing felt for the shed roof type? Can you take a picture?
Thank,s for exilent quick reply.Sorry i can not take a picture of felt in question.First dormer is complete and second left over rolls of felt are no longer on sight.The dormer in question is flat roof.The felt is the one which is laid on hot tar.Few years back same was being used in re roofing.These days cloth type breathable felt is used.I would insist builder uses stone chipping.First time i have heard aluminum coating silver paint.Is ita silver paint for flat roofs.I have never seen anybody using this paint.

Here one of them ;)

Just found this, they seems to favour tar and chipping stones

Another name for it, is called Silver Solar paint, some details of how the flat roof is done here

Sponsored Links
building control in staffordshire insist on chippings and will not accept reflective paint. they even ask for ladders to check when not visible from a window. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back