double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In Septembr 2004 I had double glazing fited to a two storey flat on the first and second floors. At first all was well but recently it has become very noisy, howling in the wind like a manic set of bagpipes. Very loud.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the silicone seals (where the plastic frame meets the masonry) may have split. this acts like a reed, giving a similar effect to a woodwind instrument. wind blows it hums! get the installers to have a look at it and maybe re-seal.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately then installer has gone bust. Surprise, surprise! with the windows two storey's up, over a shop unit, it is not esy to find someone who will go up a very tall ladder, they usually want scaffolding at a high price.
Again, Thanks

Check the seal between the opening vents and the frame.
To test open the vent slightly and insert a piece of paper. When shut the paper should be quite hard to remove.
It may just be that the openers need adjusting.

I am assuming these are outward opening casements.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I have tried with paper, as suggested, and it is held firmly when windows are closed. And, yes they are conventional opening out windows. It appears to be the seal between the windows and the wall although it is odd that it has taken 18 months to materialise.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back