Double socket sparking when I click one switch to 'off'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a year old DBL socket which sparks (a small flash behind the switch) maybe one time in five when I switch it off. I'm not sure what needs doing. Can anyone advise?

Here are the symptoms:
  1. It never sparks on a 'switch on', only a 'switch off'
  2. It only sparks when the appliance plugged into it (halogen heater or radio) is on at the time.
  3. If the appliance is off, the switching at the socket doesn't cause any sparking
Video of the switch doing its sparking thing:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Some sparking at switches is normal and the amount of sparking can vary quite a lot, from time to time depending upon how quickly you through the switch and when in the AC cycle a switch is thrown. If it really worries you, change the socket for a new one.

Could just be a bit of back EMF as the load has a bunch of energy to dissipate, which it tries to do down the switch as it opens.
I'm surprised it does it with the radio on though as that's a very low load. It won't do it with the appliance off though as there's no load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back