Spark/Blue flash when turning of socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone tell me if it is normal to see a Spark/Blue flash when turning of a socket. This seems to happen on alot of my plug sockets, I see the spark behind the switch.

I have no problems just interested to know if this is normal.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i depnds on the load, quality of the socket and if its dark

Its not that dark.

Have noticed it using micorwave and kettle and also light switch in the loft.

Only when turning off

high loads. i also bet the loft jas a flourescent light?

Sponsored Links
You guessed it right for the loft.

So I have nothing to worry about then??

Thanks again.

it would be advisable to wear a pink marigold glove with fur trim :LOL:

no its ok, they are all high load devices, but that said if they do play up, you will know why

breezer said:
it would be advisable to wear a pink marigold glove with fur trim
You seem to have a thing for pink marigolds Breezer, whats wrong with the yellow ones? :D

I guess you switch the plug-in appliances off when they're running?

Um, From what I can rememeber probably yes.

It sounds like this is ok though and I have nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

It happens more if you have weary old switches where the spring is weak and the contacts do not break smartly. It is sometimes possible to get a brief shock from these too.

If you think your switches are old or of poor quality, try swapping one or two of them for a new MK or Crabtree.

Forget quality switches - I have brand new MK sockets which flash on turning on/off my computer equipment on standby! :eek: Its perfectly normal.

I would only start to worry if a secret key switch flashed - arcing is not a good thing when you've got hold of a piece of metal lodged in a switch! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back