Double storey rear extn behind a 20 year old Extension w/o completion cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Please can anyone guide me on the following.
I am looking to buy a property that has planning approved for a rear storey double extension.

However, there is already a double storey side extension without a completion certificate. This by itself is not a cause for concern, since it has been standing for > 20 years. And a structure survey has not flagged any issues on it.
However, I plan to buy up and start on the construction straightaway, which would mean digging for the new foundations just next to the existing side extn. Which brings up my biggest worry which is, if digging for new foundations just next to the old foundations, will it expose the depth of that bldg regs in which case there could be a safety issue raised?

I have gone through this thread.. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/no-completion-certificate-for-20-year-old-extension.374439/

But i couldn't find this specific point raised, i am assuming that, Right at the point where the old and new extension meet for the foundations, can it expose the depths of the old one? Or am i just overthinking this ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You are overthinking it; no-one from Building Control will be bothered about the foundation of the existing side extension.
If the existing foundation is a bit on the shallow side, they might ask you to go a little deeper with your new footing, and haunch up against the original work, but they are not going to do anything about the existing footing as a whole, regardless of how shallow or narrow it might be.

I can't see any problem, it gets done all the time, never known it be of any concern and I'm a building control surveyor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back