No Completion Certificate for 20 year old Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please guide me related to building regulation and Completion certificate as i am first time buyer. I am thinking of buying a property which had extension ~23 yrs ago (Rear load bearing wall removed to make dining hall bigger, extension in kitechen, extension to make porche). I can see planning permission approved on council website but seller (Property is sold by trustee because seller is bankrupt) is not able to provide any further information regarding completion and advised for indemnity insurance by my solicitor. I am on last stage of contract exchange and this is holding my nerve to proceed. Surveyor didn't flag anything serious with extension. Should i proceed with the purchase? Will there be any issue in future if i think of selling or renting or will council create any problem.

Sponsored Links
After 23 years, who's going to care? Building Control are not going to do anything.

Thanks Tony,
Little bit concerned when it comes to selling in future say after 10-20 yrs......

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.
Being a first time buyer and too much to be spent buying a property for family with 2 kids makes bit concerned, so seeking advice.

I know the only option is take it or leave it.

You have been well advised by tony1000bc. In terms of legalities nobody will care. Not if they have a brain anyway.

That said one should view any extension as per the rest of the property ie is a big pile of crap or is it well built or are there problems here or there and you should satisfy yourself as to its standard.

But having no certificate does not mean it will be crap.

Thanks for update, but I am thinking of further extension if purchase goes through, wouldn't that create any problem for existing extension? Will council put any restriction.

Thanks for update, but I am thinking of further extension if purchase goes through, wouldn't that create any problem for existing extension? Will council put any restriction.

No; they will just look at your new work, and won't be bothered about the old extension.

Thanks Tony,
If I take indemnity insurance will that have impact on building insurance and mortgage.
Also, as home buyer report doesn't suggest any major concern, shall I do structural survey to make sure everything is alright.
Rear dining hall wall removed to make bigger dining hall, but its been almost 20 years now. That wall was load bearing wall. I really need to go through the purchase but not at the cost of safety.

If you have a full structural survey, it may cause you more concern than is warranted.

For example, as the wall has been removed, a report may flag this up as needing further investigation by a structural engineer. So the surveyor will be charging you money, to say you need to pay more money to an engineer to check it, = £££.
And this may only be to cover the surveyor's back.
If it's been like that 20+ years, it's not going to go wrong.

Try and look at the bigger picture; the works have been done a long time; nothing has been flagged up as needing serious consideration and, as a separate issue, the council won't do anything, now or in the future.

The danger is that while you ponder all this, someone else comes along and buys the house from under your nose.

Thanks Tony,
You are a champ mate, it looks like I m making my mind to go ahead, as its a big financial commitment bit concerned.
I will update in Tuesday after speaking with solicitor, agent etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back