Dowels for reinforcement ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a wooden Pizza peel - birch ply - Does the job well, but handle is too small for comfort (for my size hands)

I had some offcuts of 12 x 60 Ash , so cut a length glued on some short shoulders to give me a 'T' shape and routed out the shape of the existing handle and inset that and the edge of the board, glued all that in place.
Then 'laminated' a 5mm piece of ash over the lot.

Looking at my 'good quality' kitchen knives they reinforce handles with though brass rivets ... thinking I could put in a few 'through' wooden dowels (have some 8mm hardwood dowels)
Any reason 'not' to use as through pins ? ..... I could drill blind holes if through dowels not a good idea.

Pic of 'added' handle attached. not particularly fancy just more comfortable to use.

peel handle-121602.jpg

Sponsored Links
The rivets on handle scales are to keep the two scales attached via expansion as the scales are not glued.

A dowel won't perform this function, but may well be more decorative.

Glue may not last and could fail from water or heat. SS nut and bolt could work, likewise for aluminium pop rivets. Even wood screw and wall plug could work if you are not fussy.

Appreciate glue might not last that is why I want to reinforce with dowels.
I'll have a think about ss nut & bolt, but not really the way I want to go - I want to keep as wood, and metal could get hot.

Sponsored Links
If it gets that hot, then the glue will definitely fail. Make the handle thicker then you can have the bolt and nut recessed. Cap the holes with dowels. Using dowels alone might work. But you don't have much wood there and a tight fitting dowel could split the wood

I’m not sure wooden dowels would help given the leverage will be along the length of the dowel rather than in shear.

Do you make your own pizza dough?

I was thinking dowels would help hold the 2 halves of handle together, if it won’t them I’ll not do it.
I do make my own dough, several types of it.
plus Nan bread, pitta bread etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back