downlights from 13 amp connection unit

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by crooner, 28 May 2010.

1. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, i want to fit down lights downstairs in kitchen ceiling, i have a 13 amp socket that will never be used as it is jammed behind a kitchen unit,i can get access to the cable's from the back quite easily,and fit connection unit higher up the wall for access, so can i change 13amp socket to a 13amp connection unit,then run a 1.5 cable to lights,

2. BigJon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I dont see why not, presuming its a switched fused connection unit your going to be fitting.
    Will you be burying the cables, do you know if you have RCD protection on said circuit?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    bigjon, yes it is a switched fuse unit, i'm not sure if i have RCD protection the fuse box have switches,the cables run down to a 13 amp socket i was going to cut these cables and run to the fused connection unit,
    from what i have read on this site this is okay if the fused connection unit was a spur, but i was unsure because it would be on the ring circuit as i cant get access to front of 13 amp socket, i can only get into the cables that go into the back of socket

4. spark1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    would these downlights be 230 volt or 12 volt type ?

5. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi spark1, i was thinking of putting in 230volt they will go into plaster board ceiling which i will be getting plastered,(no more than 2 50 watt's plenty of room in ceiling,by the way i have decided to put a 13 amp socket above the one i cant access & just run a fused connection unit to lights,can you advise me on lights they are not for show,someone in the family is visually impaired

6. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The 13 amp socket should not be jammed behind a kitchen unit, they should be easily accessesible. So if at any time they did need to be inspected and tested this could be done.
    I suggest the socket is moved, so it is accessible.
    A fused connection unit can be installed to this, you could use a switched FCU as this can then be used as a functional switch, if not you would need to then drop a switch cable down to operate the lights. The FCU would need to be down fused to a suitable rating.
    When fitting downlights you must ensure that you have adequate ventilation around the fitting and that their use does not breech any fire regulations.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. wingcoax

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What seems to have been missed so far is that you cannot use a 13A fuse on the lighting circuit. You will have to fit a 3A fuse in the FCU in order to comply with regs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :cool:

9. wingcoax

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :cool:[/quote]
    Sorry; reading too quick again. :rolleyes: