downlights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed please. I need to install 4-mains voltage downlights in bathroom zone 3, I have the existing ceiling rose, I think I will need a junction box off the existing ceiling rose wiring however what I need to know is how to install the lights via a junction box (I’m thinking I need a 5-terminal box if there is such a one) as 1 terminal would be for the existing wiring, other 4 for the downlights, correct me if I am wrong please. I can only find 4-terminal boxes in B&Q etc.

Advice would be appreciated.

Another problem I have is my builder / plasterer has installed a false ceiling in my bathroom but not left any holes /wiring for the 4-lights, so this could be kind of tricky to do. My problem to sort though.

Sponsored Links
replicate the rose above ceiling on a jb that can be accessed via removing the d/light and then its a simple daisy chain from there to 1st light, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.

The 1st lamp will feed from the neutral and switched live at the replicated rose / junction.

A terminal in a junction box does not mean one cable - it means one terminal for a conductor. In your ceiling rose at the moment you probably have 4 connections, permanent live, switched live, neutral and earth (CPC) - you just need a 4 terminal JB to replace it, and then take a feed from the switched live, neutral and earth to each downlight (although you'll probably actually want to take one cable out, and then split off to each downlighter with another JB near each one - otherwise it will be too cramped in the JB).

Also, I assume you are aware that this work is notifiable to your LABC before doing the work under Part P of the building regulations...

Sponsored Links
be aware that the part P law explicitly reffers to the zone definitions from the 16th edition.......

be aware that the part P law explicitly reffers to the zone definitions from the 16th edition.......

and that outside those zones but inside the bathroom is NOT currently a Special Location wrt the Building Regs, as Schedule 2B explicitly defines a "Special Location" as:

"a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."

Are you saying that for electrical installations to be Part P compliant that they must comply with the 16th ed and not the 17th ed???

Now there's a thought!

There are two sides to the the part P law, the technical requirements and the notification requirements.

The technical requirements are very vauge and do not require compliance with any particular standard. Just that reasonable provision is made to protect people from fire or injury. Whether working to an outdated version of a british standard constitues such reasonable provision is not clear.

The notification requirements specifically reffer to the 16th edition for thier defitions of special locations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back