Dowsing

I went out to measure it and the tap is about 32" below the (proposed) road surface, so it's not going to be out of reach even without a long-tool-thing (don't know the proper word either!).

Unfortunately, there's no pavement and the tap is in the road (about a foot from the edge), and it's a busy road. So I've decided that if disaster strikes and I need to turn it off quickly, I'll park my car in front of it (with hazard lights on) for a few minutes whilst I turn it off. No yellow lines, fortunately.
You might find it useful to create a small manhole cover in the footwell of your car so that you can park directly over the hole and use your long tool thing (there's an obvious joke here, but let's not go there :LOL:) to shut off the water supply whilst in the comfort of your driver's seat. :idea: :mrgreen:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
tube-thing (don't know the proper word!)
Sleeve?
, so it's not going to be out of reach even without a long-tool-thing (don't know the proper word either!).
Long reach stop-cock spanner?

Unfortunately, there's no pavement and the tap is in the road (about a foot from the edge), and it's a busy road. So I've decided that if disaster strikes and I need to turn it off quickly, I'll park my car in front of it (with hazard lights on) for a few minutes whilst I turn it off. No yellow lines, fortunately.

Use the AA/RAC/Emergency vehicle technique.
Park your car a reasonable distance away, with the wheels tuned sharply into the kerb, or even with the vehicle angled into the kerb as well.
This is in case anyone rear-ends your car while you are bent down in front of it. Your car goes shooting off at an angle rather than mowing you down.

Park your car a reasonable distance away, with the wheels tuned sharply into the kerb, or even with the vehicle angled into the kerb as well.
This is in case anyone rear-ends your car while you are bent down in front of it. Your car goes shooting off at an angle rather than mowing you down.
Thanks for this :)

Thanks for this :)
In hindsight, I'd probably adapt, rather than simply adopt the technique.
On a motorway or similar with little or no pedestrian trafiic, that technique would be fine. But on a road with pedestrian traffic, I'd pobably angle the wheels/vehicle into the road, on the basis that less damage would occur if the vehicle was rear-ended which shunted it into the middle of the road. At least if any other vehicles hit it, there would be some degree of protection. Whereas, if it was shunted onto the pavement and hit a pedestrian..........

Sponsored Links
Well you better tell the cops about your great idea then, since they still park wheels pointing to the kerb in urban areas.

Well you better tell the cops about your great idea then, since they still park wheels pointing to the kerb in urban areas.
Well, I guess it's a risk assesment each time, init
30/40 mph urban road with a low/medium height kerb and busy pedestrian area, I'd point the wheels into the road.
Medium/high kerb, low density pedestrian area, perhaps point the wheels into the kerb.
I guess also there's a greater chance of there being more vehicles using the road than pedestrians using the pavement.

If anything untoward did happen, at least you could demonstrate that you had carried out a risk assesment. You might have made the wrong call, but you made a choice based on the cicumstances at the time.

Yep, risk assessment that would consider the possibility of a pile up or multi vehicle crash that could spill over onto the pavement or crossing pedestrians being hit by secondary collisions as being a worse outcome than pedestrian(s) being shunted by one vehicle. Cops see RTAs all the time, and their risk assessment always ends up with their wheels turned nearside. Let me guess what your driving qualifications are, provisional licence and seasoned backseat driver?

Let me guess what your driving qualifications are, provisional licence and seasoned backseat driver?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Your guesses are as effective as your silly attempts at insults.
Only you could exploit an opportunity to attempt an insult in a reasonable debate about risk assesment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Go away and practise in a mirror until you master the art of abuse.

You might find it useful to create a small manhole cover in the footwell of your car so that you can park directly over the hole and use your long tool thing (there's an obvious joke here, but let's not go there :LOL:) to shut off the water supply whilst in the comfort of your driver's seat. :idea: :mrgreen:

What an excellent idea. Knowing the reliability level of my car, it would help when I want to set off. I could do a 'Fred Flintstone'.

Let me guess what your driving qualifications are, provisional licence and seasoned backseat driver?

Only you could exploit an opportunity to attempt an insult in a reasonable debate about risk assesment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No need to get offended, there is no shame in admitting you don't have a driving licence, but for safety's sake, dont advise people on a subject you know nothing about.

No need to get offended, there is no shame in admitting you don't have a driving licence, but for safety's sake, dont advise people on a subject you know nothing about.
I thought I'd made it obvious that I wasn't offended by your attempts at insults. But you again arrive at the wrong conclusion. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Why does that not surpise me?
Who offered the advice on this thread? So where did I get the idea? So how can you suggest that I know nothing about it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Wrong conclusion again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It would appear that you are just picking an argument for some obscure reason known only to yourself.
Or is it just an excuse to try to insult me. :LOL: :LOL:
It speaks volumes for your mentality.
Trolls will post abusive and hurtful comments directed at a specific person (aka "flaming" another person)
Trolls will incite broad arguments and provoke angry responses by making controversial statements. (e.g. racism, religious intolerance, bigoted or elitist views, mysogyny, extreme political views)
Trolls will narcissistically dominate conversations, trying to make themselves the center of attention. (e.g. nonstop comments about themselves and their accomplishments; repeated self-centered statements and bragging)
Trolls will start many off-topic threads, seeking to derail users from the focus of an online community

At least I support my advice/decisions with logical and thought-out arguments.
You, on the other hand, resort to insults to support your ideas. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A hypothetical situation:
We're both in court due to an accident (whether as defendant or witness is immaterial).
You are asked why did you park your car in a certain way. You reply with insults, but no explanation!
I am asked the same question and reply with reasoning applied at the time.
:LOL: :LOL:

You need to practise your reasoning skills to be able to argue your point, if you have any. :LOL: :LOL:
So now try supporting your decisions (and conclusions) with logic rather than unsubstantiated assumptions disguised as abuse.

He won't ( sorry again, Joe)

It seems to be a trait of yours to assume everything you read that you don't like is a personal insult towards you. I am not interested in how many driving offences you have appeared in court for, although I would suggest your conviction rate will speak volumes about your deft reasoning ability and predisposition to accept faulty information and make judgements on it. When you pass your driving test it will become clearer.

I've just realised why you're so upset. Because you were beaten at rugby yesterday.
If it wasn't for the one-point win over Italy, you'd be the wooden spoon holders.

Well you're going to be trounced again next week by Wales. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back