Drainage advice?

That would do just as well; cut the land drain at an angle, and then cement it into place.

Sponsored Links
I suppose the hardest part is once I've started to dig the soil for the pipes is getting the water to flow along the pipes into the drain

You want a slight fall on any water system of 1:40, so basically 1" per metre, but you can get away with 1:60, or even 1:80 if you can set it carfully. If you've had a look at the link to the drainage system I gave you, you'll see that the water is collecting in to the gravel around the land drain, and then into the land drain itself, and then out to the surface drain. There will be a lot of water left in the whole system, just sitting there, but as it'll be the path of least resistance, it's getting taken out of the rest of the garden - assuming it's not a clay garden, and the soils reasonably permeable.

All good advice above . First thing to do is find the depth and direction of the Rain Drain - take out the downpipe and have a look down the (larger) pipe;)

Sponsored Links
Right so I've just spent 20 mins digging down the drainpipe finally hoping this is deep enough.In the third pic you can see where the pipe starts to curve.

Also dug part of the soil up where the water seems to sit and i got a spades depth down before hitting what looks like solid clay

IMG_20170403_132618.jpg

IMG_20170403_135845.jpg

IMG_20170403_142035.jpg

IMG_20170403_130842.jpg

Right time to get moving on this project. We've dug up the grass down the left side of the fence which would just grow Moss in the winter and are planning to slate it with potted plants along the fence.

IMG_20170603_183640.jpg

I've also took out a big shrub that was at the top left it was mainly clay again less than a Shovels depth down with water at the bottom.

IMG-20170603-_WA0010.jpg

Today I woke up and there's no more water in the hole although it hasn't rained :?:

Do I keep digging down and see if I can breakthrough the clay?
IMG_20170604_152059.jpg

Right I've dug down to the rainwater pipe again today and measured it.

IMG_20170605_162047.jpg

It's about 15-17 inches depth will that be enough for the fall.?

IMG_20170605_163237.jpg

My garden is solid, heavy clay, and I have a raised patio area about 10m square that drains into a lower area which includes part of my lawn.

The first winter we spent here was very wet, and I soon noticed that lower areas of the garden tended to flood, so I also started investigating options to improve drainage. One of those options was a soakaway crate, something I hadn't heard of before. Aside from the sheer hard work of digging a hole big enough to house it, a crate seemed like the perfect solution. The drawback to this plan turned out to be my underestimation of the sheer volume of water that drains from the patio, and the fact that the clay subsoil extends much further down than I was able to dig.

The first morning after installing the crate it rained heavily, and I found that it had turned into an underground swimming pool. The crate had filled up and there was literally nowhere else for the water to go. My next option would have been to attach a land drain and take the water collecting in the crate to the nearest gully, which was just 3 metres away, but that one is a foul drain so not strictly allowed. In the end I removed the crate, dug out an area about 2m long by 1m wide to a depth of about half a metre, and filled it with limestone. This seems to be enough to accommodate drainage from the patio during all but the heaviest and most prolonged periods of rain, though I'm still flirting with the idea of adding a land drain and ensuring that even the greatest volume of water can be dealt with by taking it to the...err..."area" of the gully in question.

Well done for the prep work Betz, so you now need to decide whether you follow Amfisteds route, (but use several crates), or route the land drain into the surface water drains you've uncovered, but looking at the depth of them, I half suspect you'll need to go the crate method instead. Are you up to digging down to see how far the clay goes, because if you can site the bottom crate under the clay line, then the water will drain out quicker.

My garden is solid, heavy clay, and I have a raised patio area about 10m square that drains into a lower area which includes part of my lawn.

The first winter we spent here was very wet, and I soon noticed that lower areas of the garden tended to flood, so I also started investigating options to improve drainage. One of those options was a soakaway crate, something I hadn't heard of before. Aside from the sheer hard work of digging a hole big enough to house it, a crate seemed like the perfect solution. The drawback to this plan turned out to be my underestimation of the sheer volume of water that drains from the patio, and the fact that the clay subsoil extends much further down than I was able to dig.

The first morning after installing the crate it rained heavily, and I found that it had turned into an underground swimming pool. The crate had filled up and there was literally nowhere else for the water to go. My next option would have been to attach a land drain and take the water collecting in the crate to the nearest gully, which was just 3 metres away, but that one is a foul drain so not strictly allowed. In the end I removed the crate, dug out an area about 2m long by 1m wide to a depth of about half a metre, and filled it with limestone. This seems to be enough to accommodate drainage from the patio during all but the heaviest and most prolonged periods of rain, though I'm still flirting with the idea of adding a land drain and ensuring that even the greatest volume of water can be dealt with by taking it to the...err..."area" of the gully in question.

I've ordered the parts now
50 m of 60 mm perforated pipe
50 meters of geotextile fabric
4 y junctions
T pipe
A good few bags of pea shingle

Hoping the rest of the stuff comes Monday so I can start Tuesday I'll take a few picks and let you know how it goes

No crates on the list, are you going into the surface drain then.

No crates on the list, are you going into the surface drain then.
Yep changing the pipe on the drainpipe into a t then adding a 110-122mm x 60-68mm Flexible Adaptor fingers crossed I've enough depth for the flow

You're going to have to work very smartly to get the heights and the fall correct to get into the drain. Are you intending to drop into the drain from the top, or can you get in from the side, but a little higher. That would stop water from the room flowing into the garden, yet give you a good chance of a fall from the furthest corner of the garden.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping once the t junctions on the drainpipe we can go in from the side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back