Draining a primatic cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting a wet room an I've just gone to take the bath out and there are 2x22mm pipes for the heating running in front of it. I need to drain the system and move the pipes. There's no f and e tank and it's not a sealed system. It's been in about 19 years and apparently it's a primatic cylinder. I've never seen one of these and was sure I was told at college when I dd my apprenticeship that you can't have a pump on a primatic cylinder as it can burst the air bubble? This has a pump? I could be wrong though. To drain the heating I'm going to have to drain the hot water as well aren't I? How does the air bubble reform when it gets filled back up, is there anything I need to do to make it reform or do I just turn the gatevalve back on to the cylinder and let the hot water fill and then vent the rads? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Sponsored Links
re-fill it slow then the bubble should be ok.

pump what you talking about ch pump or shower pump ?

A central heating pump. I was sure my lecturer said that they could push the water through and burst the bubble. However I am going back 7 years and it was only a passing comment so I could of totally misheard him.

Sponsored Links
is it on a fully pumped system or only the pumped heating.

primatic's can be fully pumped by putting the pump on the return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back