primatic cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a tenement flat and have a Glowworm System boiler connected to a primatic DHW cylinder. My DHW is brown and I assume my air bubble has gone.

So... I've drained the system and am awaiting a refill but before so, I wanted to see if someone could write a methodology on how to do this to ensure I give the air bubble maximum chance of forming.

Note, I've drained the heating circuit through the bathroom rad, and removed water from all rads. However I've not drained the DHW tank at the tank assuming that this will either drain itself through the heating due to lost air bubble.

Any advice, and tips welcome to;

a) check I've drained properly (both HTG & DHW circuits)
b) how to refill primatic & HTG systems in order to re make bubble

Ta

Sponsored Links
As a system boiler is, as far as I'm aware, a heat only with expansion vessel for use on a pressurised system when you fill it the air bubble in the primatic will be lost. Are you sure its not a heat only boiler? (boiler model might help us)

ok, maybe system was not the right word

Boiler is Glowworm Economy Plus 50FF - there is no expansion vessel in the boiler.

I think a weblink to this, if not similar is this (although this says Glowworm Ultimate 50F):

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/Ultimate50FF.pdf

Water went brown without any noticeable changes in pressure, however there is no pressure gauge. On a seperate issue (or maybe not) there is a lot of kettling noise (which) either suggests further problems, or is linked to above.

Sponsored Links
I hope your Primatic is not connected to a Fully Pumped System, you should have 2 22mm pipes at the boiler feeding central Heating, and 2 larger 28mm pipes linking the primary coil on the Primatic cylinder, if this is not the case,then you have a fully pumped system and a Primatic cannot be used

If you Fully pump the Primary coil on a Primatic, you WILL cause the air bubble to fail, Read your History of Plumbing Books circ 1970. :rolleyes:

Wrong read up on it, primatic can be fully pumped as long as pump is on return

If you Fully pump the Primary coil on a Primatic, you WILL cause the air bubble to fail, Read your History of Plumbing Books circ 1970. :rolleyes:

primatics can be pumped end of
and wheres the coil ? primatics haven't got a coil

you seco. maybe mistaken but i have had to put the range link on here a few times for regulars when this point has come up

NO NO NO i keep away from them bl**dy things.

is that the same range link above ? never seen it.

Yeah same link , one of manufacturers used to have a schematic of a system as to where to put pump etc.
Only ever saw one in realife and its been in about 25 years on a maxol must be a record for a maxol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back