Draining a system down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move a radiator, and have been told that instead of draining the whole system down, it is now common practice to create a vacuum in the system instead. How does this work, and how is it done? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If your moving a rad then i assume you will be adding more pipework to the system. If this is so you will have to cut into the current pipework therefore you will have to drain the system down in order to move your rad. By cutting into the pipework you are breaking the vacuum you would have made but blocking the open vent etc.

Thanks - I created an air lock in the boiler last time I drained the system and needed to get it sorted professionally. This was when I was told (by the British Gas man) that they create a vacuum instead of draining the whole system nowadays, to avoid such air locks. Is there a vacuum that can be created to ensure air locks don't occur in the boiler?

Sponsored Links
I live in a bungalow, the condenser boiler is in the kitchen and it's a gravity fed system with the feeder tank in the loft. What other information do you need?

If you prepare in advance use a pipe freeze kit if you feel confident enough.

you can buy them at most DIY stores or merchants .

The single use kits aint that dear .

Air locks in gravity systems can be overcome by pushing water in by pressurising through mains.

it is now common practice to create a vacuum in the system instead. How does this work, and how is it done?

By plugging the feed and vent pipes there is no way for air to get into the system when you cut a pipe. Think drinking straw principle.

If you do cut a pipe and dont close off at least one of the rad valves you do risk the syphon effect taking over as you leave more than one end open to the atmosphere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back