Drawing review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning an extension and know the size, layout, materials etc. I have drawn it all up within AutoCAD with the different elevations. All is fairly straight forward bar the position of the front door and hall area.
Now I need someone to advise me on the building regs side of things so i can add those final bits onto the drawing or provide them with the drawing to finish off for me before submitting.

I'm guessing it doesn't need to be an architect who does this, so any suggestions as I promised the wife I would have this all finished by the end of the month?

Sponsored Links
How do you expect someone to tell you all the relevant materials etc without actually doing it for you?

Now I need someone to advise me on the building regs side of things so i can add those final bits onto the drawing or provide them with the drawing to finish off for me before submitting.

I'm guessing it doesn't need to be an architect who does this, so any suggestions as I promised the wife I would have this all finished by the end of the month?

Building Regs are not 'those final bits' to add on to a drawing! :LOL:

Building Regs are not 'those final bits' to add on to a drawing! :LOL:

Very true, probably should have worded that better. Sorry.

As my title suggested though im after someone to review the drawing and advise on the buildings regs.

Sponsored Links
Seriously, giving advice on Building Regs matters is a big ask because there is such a lot - where to start??

Not being able to see a drawing doesn't help.

Here is a JPG of the drawing so far. Not sure how I can upload a PDF for better quality.
The only thing that may change is an additional window along the side, and potentially 2 skylights.
The side of the house we are extending has no neighboring buildings.

Those drawings are a long way from what's needed for building regs but look fine for planning, although you'll need to add a few things. Personally I'd get the planning underway as a lot could change.

First question, why is the new front door in the new bit when it could be in the existing, it's just eating into the garage. Also you'll end up with a very slender bit of masonry above. Extensions usually need to be set back from the existing front wall slightly and they generally look better IMO. What's the pitch? Looks pretty low?

The wife wanted a bigger hall way which is why it cuts into the garage. Then where you would typically have the door currently has the gas and electric meter and I don't particularly want to start moving those. I didn't want the hall area to eat up that much of the garage but if I moved the door over it would take out the corner of the house which I didn't think was a good idea. Will double check the pitch when I'm back at a computer but was advised it would be ok.
Looking around the area there is a mix of some back and some flush with the front. I didn't have a personal preference so just went with what gave me the most room.

Is something expected to change with planning permissions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back