Drilling into concrete posts on garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to attach trellis to the concrete posts holding next door's concrete garage together (they say its OK!). I am a little worried that the stressed concrete posts might shatter. I was wondering if the best way would be to slowly drill a fine hole first with a small bit, then slowly enlarge it (hoping not to hit a piece of rebar in the process) until i can get a small plug in.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Get some small 90 degree brackets and drill a suitable sized hole in that will take the coach bolts used to hold the garage together. Remove one fixing bolt at a time and replace it going through the bracket, fixing the bracket to the outside of the garage. Use the brackets to fix the trellis to.

That's a very clever idea, and thanks for the quick reply. I don't think my relationship with the neighbour extends to allowing me to undo bolts on his garage though! Nifty idea, though.

waht about something like no more nails to fix a timber batten then screw trellis to this?

Sponsored Links
a decent sds drill will go through it like a knife through butter. i always start it off slow and clamp some wood to the other side to stop the concrete spalling out on the other side.

as thermo says just drill into it its only trelliss so you wount have to go all the way through

can you get around the posts? if you can you can use banding to secure it. no more nails may not take the weight of thr trellis once it has a plant growing all over it

Thanks all of you for replying. I'll try some "gentle" drilling somewhere where it won't show ie below the soil line to start with.

i still say no more nails, i assume something will be holding the other end?you can also use silcone, after all it holds fish tanks together.

I did post a website link for fixing to concrete post on here sometime ago but can't find it :!:

It was a bracket which slide over the top of the concrete post slot and fix the trellis or whatever to it. You could make one out of a thin metal flat bar then fix the trellis to it then slide it over the concrete post.

Good luck if you do search on here and find it :!:

another easy way is use a bit of builders banding and a bolt through the middle of it

Well, its done OK thanks. A thin drill, slowish speed and a bit of pressure and it worked well. Wouldn't fancy hanging anything bigger, needing a bigger rawlplug, though. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back