Drills

Sponsored Links
I appreciate that I will get flack for the following... I often come across screws that have chewed up heads because someone used a impact driver. There is a lot to be said for using a drill/driver with suitable torque settings. I don't have a problem with impact drivers, per se, but many people clearly don't know how to use them properly (I am not saying that I do). I wouldn't want to use one for anything other than first fix type work. There is no way I would use one to fit kitchen cupboard doors (for example).
Not from me you won't - that's absolutely spot on for single-speed impact drivers. The multi-speed models are a lot more controllable, however, you do pay a premium for them. I'm not sure how a DIYer could justify a tool which is fundamentally a 1st fix (framing) tool, though

A lot of trade people stick with Dewalt.
Or Makita, which still seem to outnumber Makita on site (or maybe that's just a chippy thing?)

Conversation with Screwfix asking about my idea of pro tools = more or less last for ever. Answer drills - none of them any more.
That's in trade use (not lasting forever), though, and in any case SFX "trade" models are often reduced spec somewhere along the line. Buy a top of the line DW, Makita or Milwaukee cordless combi drill with a metal chuck and a hulking great motor and they will last 6 or 7 years or more in trade providing you don't drop them off a scaffolding (done that, too, 60ft and my last Mak went for another 4 years afterwards before the chuck went on me). I think the reason people get rid of drills in particular is that they have started to look horribly tatty (after 4 or 5 years hard use), the batteries are often shot and newer models have more bells and whistles or maybe they just fancy a differenty colour tool? (plus replacements are tax deductable for tradesmen)

I think from a DIY point of view the Achilles heal of cordless tools is the batteries - they don't last forever (4 to 5 years is about the limit in trade use, maybe 6 to 8 in light home use no matter how much you baby them, but they all deteriorate over time) and you do need to bring the tools indoors in cold weather as continual exposure to sub-zero temperatures (e.g. storage in a van or shed for prolonged periods) completely kills Li-Ion batteries

Or how about this one as I only need one to put screws in? I need an impact driver as I already have a Guild hammer drill (Argos).

Sponsored Links
I still don't understand why you think you need an impact driver. Do you intend to do a lot of heavy framing work? Are you going to be fixing a couple of houses worth of soffit board? A decent combi drill can can also put screws in (all right you may need to pilot the screws if they are big ones). I'd say if the toss up is between getting a lower grade impact driver and a lower combi drill vs. a high spec combi drill that the combi drill would make a lot more sense. The trade use impact drivers because (i) they need to drive massive quantities of screws and (ii) because they are working to a tight schedule and/or on a price. I have a couple (for work) and find them to be a necessary and noisy evil whereas at home I don't often bother with them

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont need an impact sub 50mm and most 12to 18v will easily do 100mm wood screws
if you like your neighbours, do not use an impact as they are the most annoying noise for the comparatively small amount off work they are doing

you dont need an impact sub 50mm and most 12to 18v will easily do 100mm wood screws
if you like your neighbours, do not use an impact as they are the most annoying noise for the comparatively small amount off work they are doing
Ok I understand. I want a powerful combi drill that will last long. I do a lot of DIY things that I need the drill for. Should I go for dewalt? I am on a budget?

deWalt, Makita, Hikoki, Milwaukee and Panasonic all make trade quality tools. The most durable drills have metal gearbox housings and metal chucks, but those features do make for a heavier tool. In the Makita range the DHP458 is a very durable drill which is generally lower priced because it has a brushed motor

Sorry, no link!

Two batteries are obviously more convenient than one, butbone of the great things about Li-Ion batteries is thatvif they go flat near the end of a job you can pop them on charge for 10 minutes (enough time for a tea break/smoke break/to go for a tinkle) and after that you have 15 to 20 minutes work in them

Sorry, no link!

Two batteries are obviously more convenient than one, butbone of the great things about Li-Ion batteries is thatvif they go flat near the end of a job you can pop them on charge for 10 minutes (enough time for a tea break/smoke break/to go for a tinkle) and after that you have 15 to 20 minutes work in them
Sorry about the link.

Here is the link to the dewalt one: https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-...rushless-compact-combi-drill/p98325#full-desc

which one would you go for? I am feeling more towards dewalt because the specs look really good. And the design and look is quality. Dewalt is such a popular brand. Is brushless better than brushed? Also I will only use this drill for screwing in screws, will get a cheap sds drill for drilling holes. So 1 battery for now is all good. Also Toolstation give a free accessory if u purchase this drill. Drill bits for free, worth £11

Ok I understand. I want a powerful combi drill that will last long. I do a lot of DIY things that I need the drill for. Should I go for dewalt? I am on a budget?
i love ryobi dewalt bosch in the past lidle
on a budget as i said earlier aldi and lidle but dewalt would be my choice as i have never ever held a makita hitch or other impact
but as i say unless you are driving in 75mm plus screws in a few hundred at a time a battery drill driver/hammer drill will do
in the past i screamed the value off ryobi but as the batteries now are a mad level at around 15- to 18 an amp hour compared to 11-13 an amp hour for 4/5 amp hour dewalt batteries i would suggest dewalt all day as ryobi have upped there game from perhaps 40% costs and 60% up to big boys standard to 80% up to standard but with overpriced battery means a direct choice between ryobi and dewalt is very close with ought a genuine near free tool at cost off battery offer
i have an obscene amount off 10.8/18v ryobi dewalt and bosch tools so perhaps i have lost the plot:LOL:
as an aside the last perhaps 6 battery tools i have bought have been half ryobi and half dewalt and perhaps half to 2/3 lighting and usb power options (y)

Last edited:
My Dewalt Lithium Ion combi drill has done 15+ years and still going.

The chuck is very important, Dewalt is Jacob's which is very good. Used some drills with terrible chucks over the years (none were mine!).

I still don't understand why you think you need an impact driver. Do you intend to do a lot of heavy framing work? Are you going to be fixing a couple of houses worth of soffit board? A decent combi drill can can also put screws in (all right you may need to pilot the screws if they are big ones).

You have, in passing, answered two questions that have been at the back of my mind for some time. Namely; What is an impact driver for? Would I gainfully use one?

I do a moderate amount of DIY and use a Lidl 20V cordless drill most of the time. I bought that when my previous cordless (B&D) died, and for drilling I was happy to buy something that is not super-duper, as I also have a B&D corded drill if I need something with a bit more oomph / run time. So the answer to my second question is a clear no.

BTW, the B&D corded is an SR 905 R, 600w, which I bought in 1986.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back