Drills

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate, here. That's why I'm trying not to recommend a specific tool or brand.

The question of impact drivers comes up pretty regularly. As a chippy I used an impact on a daily basis, mainly for 1st fix work, and I always had one in my tool belt, but they are really a tool which lacks fine control (as other people have mentioned they can also chew up screw heads unless your bit is not too worn and you apply pressure behind the tool all the way, so avoid cheap bits) - therefore an appropriate tool if you are rough framing and overdriven screw or two won't be seen afterwards, but potentially a disaster if you want to drive screws accurately to fix ironmongery to a door (overdrive a screw there and it will snap off). Combi drills are not just a lot more controllable, but they can do stuff impacts can't do, like driving hole saws, auger bits and small pilot drill bits. That Is why I'd always suggest getting a combi first, then an impact if you really need it or consider a second drill/driver to be used solely for screwdriving

Sponsored Links
New dewalt drill came today. Can already say I love it and haven’t even used it. Should I give it a long charge for the first time?
image.jpg

it wont really mater what you do the both the drill and the battery have protection circuits assuming theres 2 off the three bars light just charge when you need too
if you plan a specifically heavy day charge fully the day before

I want to get sds drill bits instead of normal drill bits to drill holes as they clip on more nicely on combi drills and the standard bits come off easily. Which one would you lot recommend me to purchase? Got some standard sds ones from screwfix today. I think it would be best to get Dewalt branded ones!

Sponsored Links
I find that SDS bits don't always hold well on 3-jaw chucks and you do end up paying a premium for them over straight shank masonry bits. In the same box as my Makita DHP481 combi drill I have a set of Bosch Multi-Construction bits like these:

Bosch Multi Construction Bit Set.jpg

They do various sets of these. Whilst I generally use an SDS drill for masonry there are times when I just want/need to carry a single drill with me to do everything - and then I'll take the combi box with a set of these. They will drill timber or ceramics as well as wood, but whilst on wood I don't really rate them, they are good for soft to medium brick or blockwork. At under £20 they aren't a bad price, and there are/were smaller sets than that, although for plugs all you should need are a 5.5mm (red plug) and a 7mm (brown plug) unless for material is very saft, in which case 0.5 to 1mm smaller (say 5 and 6mm) is useful as an addition

BTW I'dalso say charge the battery before you start - they are often on a low charge and it can be a bit disappointing to get 10 minutes run time out of a new battery, first time out. The other thing is you don't know how long the battery has been in store since manufacture, so generally a good idea to give it 20 minutes charge in any case

Last edited by a moderator:
+1
As Jobandknock has said
dont use SDS drills - i have the dewalt combi drill, 1 up from yours DCD778
and when ever i i uesd sds drill bits - i get a slight runout and they dont fit well

I use the Bosch multi construction for most things, very good in our walls - Brick/blocks and my sons brick blocks - have not used hammer action now for a while
the hole is great no wobble on the bit and rawlplugs now fit nice and tight when using the correct size drill bit
I have a sds dewalt drill with extra chuck and use that for big or tough holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back